Center Support Teflon Rings where to get? Which other trans uses correct ring?

JimP

I need the teflon rings for the center support. Working on my 2-3 flare issue, I currently have the steel rings in there but have been told to use teflon. I need them fast.

For the trans experts, is there is an application which uses similar rings to the 200-4R but in teflon. Any other transmissions use a suitable ring, this would be a great help, local transmission shop will give me the rings if they have them, just need to know from which trans will work.

Thanks in advance!

4L80E center support rings work well BUT they create more wear on the aluminum 200-4R center support. Better for the drum, not so good on the center support. Iron rings work fine in this application. A 2-3 flare problem isn't caused by the type of ring here, unless you have wear on the direct drum.

4L80E center support rings work well BUT they create more wear on the aluminum 200-4R center support. Better for the drum, not so good on the center support. Iron rings work fine in this application. A 2-3 flare problem isn't caused by the type of ring here, unless you have wear on the direct drum.

Thanks Jake!

The rings aren't the problem unless the drum is heavily worn as Jake posted

The rings aren't the problem unless the drum is heavily worn as Jake posted

Hi guys, it turns out I was the problem, forgot to remove the center sealing ring on the center support when doing the dual feed. I figured since I was going back in there this weekend, I might also put in Teflon seals as I was told they were recommended. From what I saw when building the trans my direct drum looked really good, everything had air tested and worked well. I hope once i remove center seal on the center support I'll be good and my 2-3 flare will be gone. This is what I get for working on the car before, between and after my night shifts. Going to get dirty again this weekend. I'll let you know how I make out.

Should I also drill out the 2nd band release hole a little bit larger to avoid bind of the band on the 2-3 shift?

Jim

I personally don't like tefon rings there. When I air checked, they leaked. When I put iron rings back on, I got almost no leakage.

Did you remove the seal from the drum? If you did that and had the center sealing ring on the center support the direct circuit is still dual fed if the feed hole on the center support is plugged

So...is it even worth using teflon rings at all in a 200 that is not faster than 11.0? Are they bad on the fwd drum also?

Did you remove the seal from the drum? If you did that and had the center sealing ring on the center support the direct circuit is still dual fed if the feed hole on the center support is plugged

I did the dual feed as follows,

left off the center sealing ring in the direct drum (actually on the drum, this I forgot to do), removed the 2nd sealing ring on the center support, and then block the bolt that goes in the reverse passage by welding the hole up. When blocking the reverse feed passage I used a 9/16 bolt rather than weld up the hole in the original "hollow bolt " that was in there(10 mm bolt) . Since then I have welded up the hole, and will re-use that bolt in the reverse feed passage.

This time around I'm also going to enlarge the band release hole to .120" since I have been told not doing this can cause the band to bind / hang when shifting into 3rd.

All this cause I had to rebuild due to a sticking up shift valve cause of a low reverse clutch which flaked (Not alto). The trans worked flawlessly before barking the tires in third too.

I did the dual feed as follows,

left off the center sealing ring in the direct drum (actually on the drum, this I forgot to do), removed the 2nd sealing ring on the center support, and then block the bolt that goes in the reverse passage by welding the hole up. When blocking the reverse feed passage I used a 9/16 bolt rather than weld up the hole in the original "hollow bolt " that was in there(10 mm bolt) . Since then I have welded up the hole, and will re-use that bolt in the reverse feed passage.

This time around I'm also going to enlarge the band release hole to .120" since I have been told not doing this can cause the band to bind / hang when shifting into 3rd.

All this cause I had to rebuild due to a sticking up shift valve cause of a low reverse clutch which flaked (Not alto). The trans worked flawlessly before barking the tires in third too.
if you did one or the other the direct clutches are dual fed with the reverse hole blocked. Be careful enlarging that hole or you could get a flare

Put trans back in, F'n flare is still there, wtf? I did the dual feed properly, I did not have to enlarge the band release hole (3rd Acc hole), it was already .120 on the CK plate I have. Going to put gauges on this thing tomorrow or the day after, I'll call in sick from work if I have too.

I adjust the TV cable the proper way, push in detent, pull cable towards firewall, then by hand go wide open throttle, cable clicks but I'm almost at end. When adjusted like this, my O/D is very late 65+ mph and I have to let off of gas for it to shift into O/D. I back it off one notch and it shifts at 45-50 mph into O/D but flare is there either way. Direct clutches looked mint upon inspection, direct drum looked great, all seals, sealing rings, steeles, frictions replaced.

I'm using CK's plate (Stamped with an X), with his calibration kit and manual trans brake from what I was told it's not his latest plate but I had it sitting new in the box(bought 2 years ago). Could there be something on the separator plate which won't work when dual feed is done, I can't see it? Anyone have any ideas? I can try putting my "Trans Go" kit back in see if it helps anything, what can I be missing? I never had a 2-3 flare on this car before. I'm going nuts.

Anyone want their trans removed, I'm getting pretty freaking good at it.