Can't load Speed Pro on my laptop?

H

hemirunr

I just bought a new laptop (Compaq 700us) and tried to load the Speed Pro system on it. I read the install instructions in the book for automatic installation, the book says... At the prompt type: a:install [Enter] problem is when I open the A drive disk, I get all the programs associated with the system come up, but no prompt comes up, so there is no way to type in the instructions listed above. When I click on one of the system windows, a box comes up and says to "Open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it". Then it gives me a choice of using the web service to find the appropriate program, or select the program from a list. What list? Why should I have to go to the web to look for a program. I also don't have any of the S-Pro computers hooked to my laptop, I'm just wanting to install the software for now. My laptop has Windows 2000 XP, it is 900mhz, 256meg ram, 20 ghd. What am I doing wrong? I'm not a computer whiz, but can follow most instructions without much problem.
Help from anyone familiar with this Speed Pro system would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike. :confused:

1st off
What version do you have?
DOS or WINDOWS?

DOS wont run in winXP
You will have to create a DOS boot floppy to boot from and then install and run from there.
That will work but is a pain.
I recommend you contacting your vendor and getting a windows version.

Good Luck

Thanks for the input from both of you.
I did open the install program, it ran, and apparently loaded itself to my C drive, but when I went back to my C drive to open one of the S-Pro programs it did the same thing as when I tried to open it on the "A" drive.
What version of windows does the vendor (PTE) need to install?
I purchased the S-Pro system from a member that had never used it (all was still sealed in original packages) I hope PTE will still help me with the update?

Yup, so far all the advice has been good. The DOS version of C-Com will not work with Windows XP. No DOS program will work with Windows XP as near as we can tell, as it seems that the DOS portion of things has been eradicated in XP. Your dealer can sell you a copy of C-Com WP (Windows version) for $25. This will certainly solve your problems.

Craig

Thanks to all for the good info. I called PTE and they are sending me a CD ($25) to work with Windows XP.