can I pass emissions with champion heads in the intake manifold

cecil bass

I was wondering if I get champion heads & intake manifold will it affect my emissions? and can I put a stock EGR valve on the champion intake manifold, thanks

you could mount the egr to the intake but the champ heads and champ intake have filled egr passages so if you use either egr wont function
the heads egr passages could be drilled back out as they are only filled with aluminum
but on the intake the egr tower is milled off and the floor opening filled so getting any flow through that might take some doing

can you still pass emissions that way you don't have a EGR valve? and wouldn't your check engine light come on? without a EGR?

not having egr connected will set a code and SES light with stock chip , not with a modern chip

okay so if I get champion heads and intake I need a chip as well. then do you just block the vacuum line that went to the EGR valve? and where would you get 1 of those chips from? I really appreciate all this info!!!!

off topic since this is emmission forum but what are your goals
its nice to say you have champ heads and intake as many run them and go fast but if goals are to stay around mid11s (any faster and tracks want a roll bar)
the heads and intake will do nothing without a maf intake filter setup, turbo , intercooler and exhaust upgrade. (need to improve air in and out )
champ heads are good into nines , on a stock turbo there arent any gains
the champs do allow you to go with a roller cam as come machined ready for a high lift roller cam (with proper spring) and even ready for roller rockers like T+D

and im at 9s door with stock iron heads (set up for roller cam and rockers ) without any runner porting (functional egr passages) and an unported stock intake

another thing to consider is these cars are over 25yrs old and most states allow for classic or historic tags that are inspection exempt

I'm not really sure what my goal is yet..... but I was planning to upgrade the turbo, fuel pump, intercooler, exhaust, up pipe and downpipe, cold air intake, but 1 thing I was wondering about was the internals. I plan on upgrading the camshaft, is it best to replace the pistons rings and rods as well? a good goal for me would be low 11's. I was looking at getting a piston rings rod kids from Webers. but I really don't know if this really necessary to do all that, as it's really pricey. can you give me some insight on this?

ran my stock junk (pistons /rods) mid 10s for years at 127-129 , broke one pushing over 105 1/8th, 1.4 60' times .
11s is fine on a single hotwired 255lph pump
dont need a big cam for 11s either

If your emission testing includes visual, I'd think U R screwed w/ all the topside parts U R looking at.....

What state do you live in? If your car is stock there is a bunch of bolt ons that will get you there without getting in to the engine. Look at pacecarta's info, nuff said. first thing is get a tune up ,install good fuel pump and a scanmaster and then start adding cold air intake ,chip&matched injectors. Downpipe and exhaust. Have fun and be careful

What state do you live in? If your car is stock there is a bunch of bolt ons that will get you there without getting in to the engine. Look at pacecarta's info, nuff said. first thing is get a tune up ,install good fuel pump and a scanmaster and then start adding cold air intake ,chip&matched injectors. Downpipe and exhaust. Have fun and be careful
I live in colorado ..... What other bolt on's can I add to get the most out of my stock we4? And what is do-able 1/4 time and horsepower with a good tune, ported stock intake, champion heads /w roller rockers and alky..... with all the bolt-on's I can get Im just trying to see what I can do with this car going the bolt-on route.... I was going to replace every thing from the ground up with performance parts if this car responds well to bolt-ons I dont have to do all that... thanks for all your help!!!!!