Can I paint my new GM bumper fillers?

GNRick

Retired member
I ordered a set from NOS4GN. They are the fronts for my 87 dark red TR that just turned 200k miles a couple days ago. I know there is a rumor that you need a "flex agent" but when I questioned the body shop a couple years ago, he said that is no longer the case. He painted a set for my 25k mile GN and they still look new. Of course I rarely drive it so maybe that has something to do with it:) So now I want to save some money and do it myself with a rattle can. Would I need primer? Sand the fillers with 1000 grit first to get them smooth? Would I use exterior paint or interior paint? Anybody have a part # for dark red paint in a can? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Most paints say you only need the flex agent if you're painting them off the car. Most will say they need to be installed within 24 hours after painting and for the most part it's only needed in the clear coat not the base coat.

I painted mine but not with a rattle can.

Degrease and use an adhesion promoter under the base coat.

Base coat

And then Clear mixed to MFG directions with a flex agent.

Aminga- thanks for the reply. I went to a Sherwin Williams auto paint store in town and he mixed me up a spray can of paint, same color code as my car. He put the flex agent in the paint, along with the clear. He said to scuff the fillers and use adhesion promotor. So it sounds like you guys are on the same track.

You do not put flex additive in base, only primer, sealer and clear. Sherwin clears are pre flexed, and it actully works. Most paint companies flex additive is just a retarder to make the paint flexible long enough to put it on. Sherwins stays fexible for along time. I have been a painter/ bodyman for 15 years. The only time I use flex additive is when priming a highly flexible bumper. The sealer and clear is still flexible when you are instaling the part.

You do not put flex additive in base, only primer, sealer and clear. Sherwin clears are pre flexed, and it actully works. Most paint companies flex additive is just a retarder to make the paint flexible long enough to put it on. Sherwins stays fexible for along time. I have been a painter/ bodyman for 15 years. The only time I use flex additive is when priming a highly flexible bumper. The sealer and clear is still flexible when you are instaling the part.

Here is what the can says (well, it doesn't really talk- you have to read it):ACR EN H.S. 47.2
Hs BS Magent 28.3
Ultra HS RS 9.9
Ultra Metall 7.6
Russet Pearl 1.5
Ultra Clear 19.1

So is this everything I need, except for Adhesion Promoter and a scuff pad? Do I still need a can of clear?

I've also been painting for about 15 years and have never once used flex agent in anything I've ever done because it's simply not needed. All modern material have enough flex in there products for using it to be a moot point. I mean I know there are a few places in the States and Canada that are still in the stone ages when it comes to body/paint work though that will says it's needed but you should probably avoid them to begin with lol

I did mine that way even did the fire wall on my car my air compresor went out and while it was getting rebuilt I wanted to keep working on the car. I did lay some primer on mine too. I sanded every thing down to 600 grit then painted it with primer then sanded the primer with 600 then painted it with the black and then sanded with 2000 it came out great looks beter then the rest of the car does.