Can alky damage IAC?

Justa6MB

Playing with setting up my alky transducer with XFI (XFI Newbie) and in the process had hit the test button a few times with engine off. A day or two later I started the car no having changed anything that I know of...and it won't idle right. Haven't looked at readings yet as it was late last night but wondering if some raw alcohol could run into the iac and bugger it up?

Well for those who are wondering, yes it appears it can. Don't hit the alky test button without the engine running and let it sit for a day or two...

not only can it damage it ..it can blow out the iac driver in the XFI box

It's not that I don't believe it,I can't understand why you would spray the alky without the motor on.
The OP was testing the install of his new Alky Pressure Transducer. This explains the button push with the engine not running.

But, depending on where your nozzle is, and how your inlet pipe is angled, if it pitches down to the throttle body, or if your on a hill, or if you just happen to be a crazy button maniac, or if black clouds follow your every movement.........

Occasionally, it will happen. It did to me.

Just thought the info should be out there for the newbies. It makes diagnosing an idle problem easier if it's known to be a possibility. But by no means, is it a reason to not use Alky. The benefits far outweigh the losses.

A test cap that works like Julio's alky test kit has would make testing the system for any reason easy and safe for the IAC located after the nozzle(s).

It's not that I don't believe it,I can't understand why you would spray the alky without the motor on.
First of all I love my Alky Control System, if I bought another TB it would likely be the 1st think on my shopping list. Secondly, you don't know what you don't know... Hit the test a couple times not thinking it would hurt anything. Had a problem...Did a quick search and couldn't see anything related. So my advise is don't do it. It's exactly like NYTT said.