Camshaft sensor gear toast

Myself and others added an external oil line to lube the cam gear. See the Stage II tech here for a thread on it. Can use my username as an author. IIRC, the thread starter was either LOT, or Lee Thompson.

With the front cover off can drill a small hole in an oil passage that will spray oil in that direction. Jerryl (sp?) I believe posted a picture in that thread.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thanks - I did see those threads , just didn't know if since then no other methods of oiling popped up
Time to go dig those threads up again
Thanks
Jeff M

You got that right Chuck, only some of us old guys remember that. Even when we put a Torrington in we would drill the hole. The hole in the oil plug for the Buick sounds like it would do the same thing, but for the cam gear itself. Any more pics or info on this?

It makes no difference what plug gets drilled. Either one will get the job done.

oil hole.JPG

Does the hole affect oil pressure? Should I run heavier weight after?

You won't notice. The minute amount of bleed off will be automatically taken up by the oil pump relief valve.

Even a hole as large is .020" only has .031 square inchs of flow area.

The oil pump moves more oil than most think. Way more than the motor actually uses. There is plenty on tap.

Hey Earl, In the above video, what size whole was drilled?