cam sensor help please>>

O

ohiogn

OK, here is my dilemna. I am in the process of replacing the timing chain. I thought I had the car at TDC and removed the cam sensor. After I took off the TC cover I realized I was not at TDC. I put the new gears and chain on exactly as I took the other one off and then rotated to TDC (timing dots aligned in the center). Now if I put the cam sensor back in, it will be off. Should I rotate the engine back to where it was (I think I can find it) or can i do something else?

Thanks form a beginner.....

There is a proceedure on gnttype.org. I tells you to put #1 at TDC and measure back from the O mark on the damper 1.45" I think and that will give you 25 degress mark where you put the sensor in. You measure counter clock wise if you were looking at the front of the damper, to the left. check the measurement on the site as I am not dead sure. Then the widow on the sensor should be kind of pointing at the front left of the alt. Agian the site will set you up.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/camsensor.html

Ok made it easy for ya. and it is 1.45"

good luck

actually....

That procedure is assuming the cam sensor has not been removed and the engine rotated. I don't think this solves my problem?

Personally I have found the cam sensor instructions on GNTTYPE.org to be as clear as mud.

They tell you to create the 1.45" reference and add it to the dampner. But that is IT! They don't instruct you as to what it is used for. When I re-installed my cam sensor assembly recently... I put the engine to TDC on the #1 cylinder. Installed the sensor so the "window" was facing the alternator (ever so slightly). Then rotated the engine to the 25* ATDC mark (aka. the 1.45" piece of tape) to set the sensor to the 7.5v -> 0v range. And called it done.

Personally, I can't see ANY reason install the cam sensor 25* ATDC... even if it is possible.

Maybe someone with enough experience here will take a minute and write up the PROPER and CLEAR set of instructions to installing an entire cam sensor assembly... begining to END.

I copied and pasted this into my notebook. It's well worth saving!

Here add these two posts by Chuck, the OL' Buzzard, Leeper and John, "if it's chemistry, I got you covered", Estill to your list of useful reference materials....

you move the crank to 25* ATDC on the compression stroke, THEN install the cam sensor. DO NOT install at TDC, and then rotate to 25*ATDC.. you will be 25* off as the sensor gear meshes w/ the cam at that point and turning the cap only makes a mess!!

Bring the engine to TDC on the compression stroke.. BOTH valves on #1 closed. Continue to rotate to 25* ATDC.
Look at the cam sensor gear. there's a dot on it near the bottom. Install the sensor w/ the dot facing the pass. fender and the wires in the cap are pointing towards the dr headlite. Once the gear meshes w/ the cam gear, you should be close to the sensor bottoming in the cover.[ A little "sneaky cream on the o'ring helps!!] If it's still up a bit and the gears are meshed,[you can't turn the sensor shaft], it's OK to bump the engine a bit to get the oil pump shaft to mesh into the bottom of the sensor gear.Once this is done, put the cap on, and hook up the indicator lite. Turn the sensor CLOCKWISE until the lite goes out, turn it COUNTER CLOCK until it just lites. I then continue CCW about 1/8 to 1/4" and lock it down. [Lite should still be on]

HTH,

OG, the wires can face any direction and the sensor still be installed correctly. It all depends on the orientation of the sensor as you drop it in. I like to drop mine in with the cap off, so I can see the window. If I start with the window pointing to the firewall, when I'm all done the wires point straight down. This is due to the window rotating some as the sensor meshes with the gear on the cam shaft.

If you don't like the way yours is oriented, pull it out, take the cap off, and drop it back in with the orientation I use. You can use a long screw driver to get the slot in the oil pump oriented correctly so it will all fit together without having to bump the motor.

I always start with the motor at 25deg ATDC and I don't have to move it at all during the procedure. I don't think it matters if you start everything at 0 deg and then move it to 25 deg later, as long as the engine is at 25 deg when you set the cam sensor with the tool.

BTW, make sure you start from the right TDC, there are 2 TDC's (since this is a 4 stroke engine). And if you are using a piece of masking tape on the balancer to indicate how far 25 deg is, the correct length is 1.45". Some people recommend going to 22 deg, which is about 1 5/16". So somewhere in that range. I saw you reference 1.50", which is probably a bit much. Depends on which theory you subscribe to, which we all may be sorry that I brought up.

Oh yeah, question C... it sounds like their instructions assume you are starting with the cam sensor being pretty close to where it should be, already on the back side of the window. Since you started from the front side of the window, the light came on as you turned it clockwise. Don't worry about it, it sounds like you got it set right. If you went through the procedure now that you have it set, it would work exactly like they described.

John Estill

Thanks Tim!!

I appreciate the help. This makes more sense to me.....