Cam change in car?

SPOOLFOOL2

Fiberglass bumper filler dude. (949) 433-1257
Staff member
Wanted to get some opinions. Yesterday I wiped the #4 exh lobe off my old hyd, flat tappet, Kenny Bell 208/208 cam. I drove it home (about 30 mi) thinking that I had just broken a rocker shaft. After pulling the right side valve cover, the #4 exh rocker arm had about 1/8" of lash (not preload). So, I know that quite a bit of metal went through the motor. The magnet on my oil drain plug looks like it got some of it. This was a strong running, ten year old, 15,000 mi motor. The pistons are .040 over hypers, and the crank is already turned .020 so, it's not rebuildable. Right now I'm getting ready to drop the oil pan and see what the bearings look like. My question(s) is, if the bearings look good, is a roller cam change out something that can (or should) be done in the car, or is the short block toast?

Thanks Mike Barnard

I would pull it and check it out. Stick it on a engine stand, take off the oil pan and have a look. Its much easier out of the car then it is to bust your back leaning over the fenders. Doesn't sound like its major so I would not distrub the bottom end by removing any of the caps. If your oil pressure dropped off quite a bit or your motor was knocking then I would say check it out.

if you go thru the work of taking it out and putting it on a stand, then it's not that much more work to take it apart and clean things up. maybe put new bearings on it and run a hone thru the cylinders and put new rings in it, as well. a quick trip to the local coin op car wash wiill clean everything up nicely once you have it all apart..

It is a real pain to change the cam in the car. I agree and pull the motor and check it over good. All that camshaft metal had to go someplace. The magnet wont catch everything. Fix it right this time so you don't have to do it again later. :)

just went thru this. with the roller you change valve springs. this is a pain in car especially next to a/c housing. I would have saved time if had pulled engine to start with. (had to any way after I dropped a valve down into cylinder bore:eek:

So far we've got 4 people that say "yank the thing", and only one lazy ba$terd (me) that wants to do it in the car. Looks like it's comeing out. I'm not one to half@$$ stuff. Good thing that I'm off work for the next week. Now, what parts? I know that Jack Cotton has some hyd roller packages for sale. Not sure if I want to do roller rockers, or just get hardened stock shafts? The cam that got wiped was a old Kenne Bell MK 1TXB 208/208 that was in the car when I bought it. I'd like to stay about the same, or go a little bigger. I know that my Champion ported irons, and turbo would like a bit bigger cam, but this car is a 99% street car, and has to pass CA. smog. Will roller rockers bolt right on to my heads? I know that I'd need RJC valve cover spacers.

Thanks Mike

Rocker clearance

I had to clearance the rocker shaft pedestals when I put on my T&D roller rockers. The rollers are wider and hit the side of the pedestals. Stock rockers should be OK if you go w/ HD shafts. If you've got the $$, go w/ roller rockers.

roller rocker head clearance

The heads will be off the car, so now's the time to do it. Just went on Cotton's site. thinking of doing the 206/206 cam with 1.65 roller rockers. I'm thinking that the 212/212 cam might be too big for the stop and go street manners that I'd like to see.

Any thoughts?

The 212/212 is a beautiful cam for the street. drivability and street manners are excellent. Its not a big cam at all.

You could do it in the car.. changing valve springs in the car sucks tho.

212/212 isnt that big.. Ive used way bigger on the street.

Any problems with the 212 cam and CA smog? Which roller rockers? 1.55 or 1.65? I plan on asking Jack Cotton on Jan 2nd, but just wanted to get opinions till then.

Thanks Mike

Any problems with the 212 cam and CA smog? Which roller rockers? 1.55 or 1.65? I plan on asking Jack Cotton on Jan 2nd, but just wanted to get opinions till then.

Thanks Mike

I had Comp 212-212 and pasted NY smog test no problem, I ran 1.65's

I got my 218-212 roller from Jack, great street manners and slightly larger power band. 1.55 Scorpion rockers on mine. Haven't made a track run yet but EXPECTING mid 10's.
Bryan