Cage bars through dash or in front?

fuzzyGN

I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are of putting the front cage down bars through the dash. This is not in a G body so the space is at a premium. It is just a ton more work to fit the dash after the bars are in? Is it because most kits are built for the bars in front of the dash? I would think from a pure safety standpoint the bars through the dash would be more safe because they would require fewer bends. Some of the down bars I have seen look more like oragami. In what plane are they "incompressible"? Interesting topic anyway.

When going through the dash, it is easier to put a dash bar in. With the bars infront of the dash, the bar usually gets left out.

How much work was it to fit the dash after the bar was in? I think that is the way I am leaning but would like to know what I am in for.

Much easier to put the dash in when the bars follow the A pillar closely, you are correct those bends give clearance, but compromise strength and require more tie bars, what bewilders me is how few people running fast cars do not have the front down tubes tied thru the firewall.

I had to remove the emergency brake handle and move the XFI box when going thru the dash. We mounted the XFI to the cage.

eb3b91b6.jpg

That sure looks a lot cleaner with the front bars hidden. The main reason I am going to cage the Vega is so the smaller diameter tubes can be used legally. I don't think it will actually require a cage vs. a 6 point but who knows? With the bars in front of the dash getting in would be very tight. Just not much room in the first place. Lrayzer, are you talking about additional bars attached to the down bars through the firewall, and down to the frame? Like in a 12 point cage? I am going to consider that also because of the unibody constriction in front. Really no frame to connect it to but could weld something to the box frame looking thing. Sackracing, how close to the A pillars are your front bars? Can the trim be put back on? I may make up some box-in plates and weld the bar to the A pillars. Finding good Vega trim isn't too easy :p.

Here is a GN with an 8.50 cage we did, and added bars to the front frame for stiffening.

The bars were low enough not to interfere with the dash, but still added strength to the frame more than a safety consideration.

Frame bar.jpg

Yes, like a 12 point, even the buick with full frame is a noodle, I can pick up the TSO car fom one corner and it comes up square, properly caged, adds safety and rigidity, plus a nifty place to mount your wires and hose's.

Much easier to put the dash in when the bars follow the A pillar closely, you are correct those bends give clearance, but compromise strength and require more tie bars, what bewilders me is how few people running fast cars do not have the front down tubes tied thru the firewall.

It's not because of safety, but certain rules apply with bars being tied down through the fire wall, that car will not be able to race in a certain class! I can think of NMRA, and I know there is at least three more classes in different NMCA, and Out-law! I know it's stupid, because these classes have to obtain some street a-tire car. Dumb, cause safety is number one! Glad you brought that up. i always go through the dash! My opinion, but hey some guys like the stock speaker locations!