Buick/Mustang Challenge May 19th, Reynolds, Ga......

Bowling Green Natl's

Most of the cars will be in Bowling Green Ky for our annual meet....We will invite you to a meet sometime, wish we could have it at Commerce, but on a Friday or Saturday night you might get at least 1 run in all night (need to have a RiceMobile).....We had to stop the B.O.P. meet there because the new management doubled the track rental, now we have it at Reynolds in Nov......Good thing about it, they will let other cars race, It's called a "Challenge" also, so you can come then, :) Buick guys don't hate Mustangs, we love them :eek:

:D alan

Mustangs!

..........yup, what Alan said! That's our story and we're sticking to it! :rolleyes:

-Bobby

I will not beable to come :mad: my boss decided to go vacation knowing that I had requested the 19th....... I had hoped to have the new trans in and some work done prior so I could run the 83 (track virgin).... still waiting for trans....my luck
Hope all best of luck and have fun...
maybe....sat meeting

Well the transmission man ripped me off (only lasted for 200 miles), and I am waiting on a trans from bruce at PTS. So black beaty will be sitting under the car cover, but Ill be down there to watch. So go kill some fords for us under construction guys!

Great time!

Had a great time Sunday meeting and making new "Buick" friends. According to the "Mustang" camp, the Buick guys had a good showing. I personally was not clear on how the "Challenge" part was going to flow, but I was a visitor! Either way, it was a great time and without a doubt, I'll be back in November for the BOP Event (or whatever it's called).

Bobby

PS Lonnie, let me know how your project goes. (rmason@scc.state.va.us)

edited May 20th I was just reading the "Mustang" version of Sunday. Other than 1 person that pushed a HG, who else broke? As far as I know, there were tuning issues with some cars...that to me is not breaking! I guess the statement about the GN of

but by the end of the day, most of them were broke and on the trailers going home

does not set well with me. I'm not going to go over there and complain about this small thing. We who were there know what happened and that's that. I enjoyed riding ponys all day! :) As stated above, I enjoyed myself and got the chance to meet some nice people. It's time to hit the road and get back to VA!

Times..

Bobby ,
What were your best times? Did they have a final race or something for money. We had to get back before it was over. I raced two Mustangs and beat them....Glad you made it.....
alan :)

Guys, this was the first time I have raced the car. It needed some tuning, but I was running a Thrasher 108 that stuttered:mad: and 110 octane. At 22lbs with my 245/60 Dunlops and a 2.1 60ft, I ran a 12.52 @ 110.9 mph.

Wooo-Hooo!!!:D

On the the 3 hour drive home I averaged 23 mpg with the AC on. Oh yeah, I had better replace that O2 sensor!!!

*** I was so CONFUSED ***

Alan:

My best times were in the 11.7X range and MPH in the 114-116 range. I wanted to keep it close to 12.0, in case they started with me about not having a bar in the car. Then all I needed to do was take a couple of turns out and it should be in the 12.0 range. I had a great time and I hope no one thinks that I'm complaining. I know I didn't quite understand how the whole pairing thing worked. What was said, was obviously NOT what I understood. I don't know know if you had left already or not, but how it ended up working was...

You made three (3) passes and those runs were averaged. Now, the 2nd part is where (not only me), but a few other people got lost too! The closest to that bracket's index (10.0, 11.0, 12.0, etc.), would race the closest person from the next bracket. Now, sitting here and typing it, makes sense to me (kinda). Honestly, hearing it didn't click. What I heard was, 3 runs, average those runs, that's your dial-in, that's fair! Nope, that's not what was said, even though that what I wanted to hear. What that meant was, one person from the 10 sec index, one person from the 11 sec index would race, etc. So, if you had a 12.50 car for example, it would be to your advantage to slow it down to 13.0X, because anyone that averages 12.49 or less, has automatically sent you home...only one car from each index will race period, everyone else is done for the day! Now that's the part that I did not understand until it was too late! Again, I'm not griping, I just misunderstood the rules...my bad! But, to acknowledge that it was a bit confusing, Chris set me up with the guy that averaged .04 away from me. I can't remember if it was slower or quicker, all I know is I was a bit bent out of shape for not understanding things and just wanted one more run before leaving. :)

I didn't mean to write a book, but I think some of the guys that may have left early would have been confused as well. I was expecting a 1 on 1 ET bracket pairing, or an indexed heads up, where everyone would get to pair up with someone, not a one car per indexed bracket. No, there was no money involved in my grudge thingy. I was just a little kid that just wanted one more ride on the pony!

I did get stomped by the 10 sec Pony and he did his thing too (as he should have). He went a 10.77 at 123mph. Next time I'll bring a bigger saddle to ride that pony! :) All of the guys that I met were nice, no one was talking smack nor acting stupid. I was sorry to see the one case of "the dumbass" syndrome that did occur, but I think he learned that it's better to lift and come back for another pass, rather than to stay in it and try to ride it out.

-Bobby

Man I'm sorry I was kinda unclear.

To be honest, I'm a total newbie at setting up races and stuff. When we do it again in the fall, it will be alot more organized.

To be honest again, I didn't care too much for the way we did it. I'm thinking an honest shootout style Turbo Buicks vs. Mustangs with a definite ladder. Haven't quite figured that all out yet, but I have several months.

Chris (Psychoholic)

...on the right track!

Chris:

Actually, I think the way that I thought you were doing it was about as fair as possible. I had never seen it done that way before and thought it was good idea. That was, 3 runs with 1 buy back, average those 3, and that's your dial for the challenge. Then you'd get paired with the closest "other brand car" and go for it. That's about as fair as can be. That takes care of the honest guys and sandbaggers too! It's about as level as level gets (to me).

Again, I'm not knocking what happened. I admittedly heard one thing, when you clearly said something else. That one was on me! :) You matched me up with #43 for my last race, what more could I have asked for? I enjoyed it and hopefully will bring something a bit stronger on the next trip down.

-Bobby

I'm glad you liked it, maybe next time we'll do 2 different styles of racing. Who knows.

Just a small tidbit for ya about # 43, his name is Bryan Bailey. That car is an ex-NC state patrol car, has 208,000 miles on the stock short block, and runs 11.91 @ 114 on motor.

I hope when we do it again, you'll make that long drive again. Hopefully we'll be able to give out some trophies too. I would have liked to given you the 'Long Haul' award.

Chris (Psychoholic)

Well, looks like I found out what got hurt at the little get-together we had. I managed to push the h/g on #3 cyl. Turns out the headbolts weren't torqued correctly, so the head lifted just enough to push the fire ring out. Dana from SE Turbo called me this evening and said it's all back together. Time for the beastie to come home and get some tuning done....lol.