Blow-Through Question

gunnervirus

My Car's Too Loud...
Hi again,

I had an idea the other day (one of those don't just pop up everyday ;) ) If I were to convert to a blow-through system (the current draw-through system intereferes with my hood, and the pass. side exhaust manifold interferes with the fender --it's a vega), I would replace the exhaust manifolds with ones from a 86/87, use a 86/87 turbo, custom fab the pipes, replace the intake and carb with aftermarket pieces. Would this work out?

What kind of carb could be used... I was thinking a holley 390, but is that too small for a turbo application? Since the carb would be under pressure, would I have to find another vacuum source for the vaccum advance? They're are no smog equipment on the car now, nor would there be with the blow-through system. Any recommendations?

Thanks again,

Ben Cotter

good , wuestion, I have an 87 regal with standard V6 wonder what i need too

You might be able to use just the 86/87 PS manifold. It should bolt to the '79 crossover/DS manifold. Otherwise, you have it. With this set up, an IC can be used.

There is a Holley carb that handles pressure well, (~20 psi). For details on the carb, fuel pump, etc. I recommended trying this mailing list- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blowthruturbo/ There are plenty of people there experience adapting turbos to NA engines.

Thanks very much, but, what is ps and ds? I am new to turbo. thanks

Passenger side - driver's side. ;)

Left and right tends to confuse people, because "is that when I'm looking at the engine from the front or back?"

By convention, the right and left of a car is from the perspective of the driver (i.e. left is driver's side)

I replied to your private message. I need a postal address to send the Carb/Turbo build-ups to. (They are for factory draw-thru turbos. I'm not sure they will benefit you much).

If you want to add a Turbo to a Normally Aspirated (NA) engine, the blow-thru is the way to go.

How quick would I expect to make a streetable blow-through? I am quite pissd and distraught because about 45 minutes ago i got walked by an explorer:mad:

Iam now really considering the blow-through after reading the conversion info on the b4black page. Only thing I can't understand is how the turbo connects to the carb could you clarify this rich? And, with a cam, 4 barrel, headers, and removal of cats, I am confidident of some performance!