Bison Performance - XFI - Fan-freaking-tastic

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
After reading many posts and threads, followed by studying real life hands on performance results shared by Bison for a few years, I took the plunge and purchased a P&P XFI system from Bison.

The process started with sharing the goal, and I asked Bison to forward a quote for P&P XFI package with whatever he thought I need. Price was of no concern, but support and proven first hand results were my top piority. I must admit that I had no reservations with these either.

Had a few laptop W10 connection issues and finally got to drive the car today. The base tune allowed smooth idling and driving after some required minor *live online* tweaking, due to injector change after the initial tune was installed.

A few low boost WOT blasts confirmed Bison's experience and knowledge; The car pulled clean without ANY hickup. Could not believe how well it behaved in stop and go traffic, and could not be happier with the support and how close the tune was from the go.

THANK YOU Bison!
Can't wait for you to add some more magic during the upcoming Houston dyno session in a few weeks!

It is VERY comforting to know that the most important sensor, 3.5 bar map, has very low probability of failure, while receiving guidance from an vey honest platform specific expert into a direction which he has done repeatedly.

It is difficult to provide sufficient praise about Bison's knowledge sharing, honesty, service and results proven knowledge.

IOW; He won't sell you junk or crap you don't need. Lol

Plenty of reliable 10 second cars on stock ecm's. They have even been 9's.
Very aware of that and don't want to turn this into "do I need XFI" thread. Lots of threads on that already. Matter of fact, I have studied that exact scenario for 10 years and the car ran VERY well with stock ECM and 2001 chip.

My interest was in subsequent operating parameter control at a higher level of granularity, to execute and suport my tuning phylosophy on the journey to the next level of performance, and, supporting a concise decision making process based on data.

Exactly. You can go plenty fast on stock junk...and have all the reliability in the world.

I have seen a lot of *reliable* 9.x second pump/alky cars on chips. Thanks for the feedback and your opinion.

I have seen a lot of *reliable* 9.x second pump/alky cars on chips. Thanks for the feedback and your opinion.
I haven't. I've seen a couple. With the limited data they had it was more luck that they didn't have catastrophic failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. You can go plenty fast on stock junk...and have all the reliability in the world.
Post up that 9 sec slip! You sure as heck can't have the reliability of an aftermarket ecu with a stock ecu especially when you take full advantage of the safeguards available in some of these aftermarket systems. It's not even close.

Plenty of reliable 10 second cars on stock ecm's. They have even been 9's.
Plenty of very expensive damage done with chip cars too. Even worse they don't really know what happened because they don't have the data. I think I ran out of injector, I think I ran out of pump, I think I had boost creep, I think my alky pump was weak, etc. if something is weak I'd at least like to see a smoking gun so i can go right at it. Plenty of guys with aftermarket ecu's not taking advantage of what they have to offer

I remember Russ raving how impressed he was with the Xfi saving his bacon on the dyno when his fuel pump was failing.

I remember Russ raving how impressed he was with the Xfi saving his bacon on the dyno when his fuel pump was failing.
Yup. Chances are that car would have wound up on the drag strip and melted because of that

Russ was laughing saying he even drove home that day. He saw how close it was to disaster and how the Xfi tried to fix it.

I haven't. I've seen a couple. With the limited data they had it was more luck that they didn't have catastrophic failure.

Lol. Yeah . . . I was being sarcastic.

As discussed: Not interested in becomming a one hit wonder and stand by my research and decision.

All this stuff can be done with a powerlogger and sd chip.
No it cant. Im not yet an xfi user but you are limited in inputs with powerlogger, and have no programable crutches or limits / safeties. For example fuel pressure compensation doesnt exist yet in chips

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Brian, I run reliably in the mid to high 6's in the 1/8th...and I bracket race/grudge race my car every weekend spring to fall. I record every run...and go over the data back at my trailer after each run. I don't fly by the seat of my pants. Racing every weekend has me on an incredibly tight budget...and it's taught me how to drag the most from the least. XFI is a luxury I can't afford, as I'm sure it is with alot of other gents. We each do the best within our finances and knowledge base. I have an auto tech and automotive machining background...which helps...but when it comes to tuning, I stick to what I know...and fully understand. XFI is great...for those that can afford...and fully understand it inside and out.

All this stuff can be done with a powerlogger and sd chip.
No it can't. I've used and tuned a lot of different systems. The SD2 system is a great system but it doesn't have the outreach of something like XFI, Holley, or Haltech. Even the oxygen sensor used makes quite a difference. The extra auxillary inputs make data acquisition and overlay very easy. With XFI (since its most common here) the power adder feature can be used to do all kinds of performance enhancing things if the user is up for it and looking for that edge especially in a drag race. Additionally the stock ecu is much more prone to RF noise and loss of connection due to the way it has to be installed.

Another thing this is a vendor customer service thread. I'm not here to debate the different ecu's available and why one is better than another. XFI isn't $3000 either. Plenty of threads and success stories out there with aftermarket systems in the tech forums. Why not post in those threads about how the stock ecu is capable of the equivalent of what these systems can do? Instead you come here and shit up a customer service thread. Exactly why I post less and less here. For those of you that have given me the support over the years I thank you.