Big Turbo Whistle???

F

Fast87V6

Does a bigger turbo whistle louder than say a stocker or TA49???

If so.....why???

I'm not sure about turbos bigger than a stocker or TA49, but I can tell you that my TA49 whistles a bit louder than my stocker did. I have no idea why. Maybe it has something to do with the bigger PTE exhaust housing on my new 49???

You would be able to hear the turbo sound better when the air flow into the turbo or out the exhaust/turbo is increased. As advertised, you want something that sounds like a vacuam cleaner on steriods, even stock turbo, try the Big mouth cold air kit from Mark H., www.buickgn.com. K&N increases the sound by itself. THDP, test pipe, free flow exhaust such as the Hooker 2.5, or combination thereof creates more sound also. I prefer the THDP sound. Not sure about the bigger turbos since I run stockers, but I would think with the parts I have mentioned, it would create more sound at WOT since it is pushing more air, cfm.

I have a PTE-53 with a really sweet whistle from just off idle, and a TE-66 with almost no whistle.

My TE64-1 has almost no whistle,just that loud suction sound when going full swing - actually it does have quite a whistle when the exhaust is open at the downpipe,kinda sounds like a Mack with straight pipes but too loud to deal with.

Steve

Originally posted by TTA850
My TE64-1 has almost no whistle,just that loud suction sound when going full swing - actually it does have quite a whistle when the exhaust is open at the downpipe,kinda sounds like a Mack with straight pipes but too loud to deal with.

Steve

lol yeah, and why did u run with an open downpipe? ;) :p

dude your turbo sounds like a whacked out pigeon when its de-spooling :D

my stocker is loud as hell...i have a cold air kit along with free flowing exhaust with gutted cat and boy my car is described as a "jet taking off"

i heard the bigger the turbo after a ta-49 the whistle tends to go away and you get more of a loud RARRRRR from the turbo instead of a loud whistle...who says the stock turbo sucks :)

I've gotten that same comment about my car (Big Mouth, THDP, 9" K&N, stock turbo), that it sounds like a jet taking off. I barely have to step on the gas and it hisses, then whistles like a sumbitch. :D
Kinda sux sometimes, because everyone thinks that you are spoolin' up the turbo to race :rolleyes: when I'm just cruisin to the gas station.
Even on the highway all I have to do is crack the throttle, and there goes that whistling again....

Steve

Originally posted by Black Box
I've gotten that same comment about my car (Big Mouth, THDP, 9" K&N, stock turbo), that it sounds like a jet taking off. I barely have to step on the gas and it hisses, then whistles like a sumbitch. :D
Kinda sux sometimes, because everyone thinks that you are spoolin' up the turbo to race :rolleyes: when I'm just cruisin to the gas station.
Even on the highway all I have to do is crack the throttle, and there goes that whistling again....

Steve

same here, great isn't it? :D

My TE62 was louder then my current turbo. Uncap the exhaust and you can hear the whistle from blocks away though!

I run a TE-60 and an ATR303 d/p with no exhaust. Just bringing the pressure from vacuum to 0 boost sounds like you're spooling up about 15 psi. My car has been compared to everything from a turbo John Deere to a car with a turbo off a semi truck. People hear this thing coming a mile away....:D BTW, running an open dump or just a downpipe will also make the stocker's whistle quite louder.

i guess we can conclude a compressor wheel whine is much easier to hear (throught the air filter) than a turbine wheel whine (through the exhaust system).

Loudest turbos I've had is TA-49 and TE-44. TE-51 is quieter and my TE-63E is even quieter yet.

Originally posted by Black Box
Originally posted by fly89gta:

Absolutely! :D Nothin' like the intimidation factor. :D

Steve [/B]

no doubt, i've turned SOOO many heads with the whistle coming up the block :D

in fact i've had 3 people in the last 2 days come up to me ask what's under the hood, i usually reply with "the stock engine that was available in '89" :D:D:D

Can't figure out if the TE-60 or the ATR 3" exhaust is louder. The car is loud as hell. Of course the BOV sound is fairly loud as well...