Avg. price on built shortblock ???

RobG

Hey guys,

Just wondering what the general ballpark price is on a fully machined and balanced shortblock ?? Also in the mix would be a block girdle that I would like to have installed. Nothing too fancy but basically a block that can handle the power of a 10 sec. combo.

I'm in the Chicagoland area by the way.

Thanks for al your input :)

Depends on how long you want it to last, and how hard you drive the car. probably around 2.5-4K, but the sky is the limit

Well I am just putting a girdle, Roller cam, Eagle crank and rods, JE 30 over pistons, Balancer in mine and have over $3,000 and that doesn't count the machine work, getting the crank balanced and labor, Money pits, The guy doing the work said he could do two small block Chevy's for what this will cost

I talked to built rite engines in lombard. prep block with freeze plugs/ cam bearings.complete valve job and assemble engine. was $1,100. that did not include balance rotating assembly. that was me suppling crank rods pistons and rings and bearings and cam shaft/ timing chain etc.They wanted $700 for eagle rods:eek: and $730 for crank. That is some mark up there.Frank at gofaststuff.com laughed at those prices. I was told to call opel engines in shaumburg ill also. they do quite a few buicks i was told.

Thanks guys.

I have a quote from R&R Engines in Addison and it's in the 2K range minus girdle.

If you are in IL, I would probably consider DLS or Lonnie Diers of Extreme Auotmatics for a engine. DLS is in IN and Lonnie is in Cincinati. Not that far but worth the extra time and money for their expertise. Both have built numerous stock block motors that run 9s. So they can build from mild to wild. Good luck on whatever you decide.

I've read about DLS and I'll get in touch with them as well to see what I'm looking at. Thanks !!!

I talked to built rite engines in lombard. prep block with freeze plugs/ cam bearings.complete valve job and assemble engine. was $1,100. that did not include balance rotating assembly. that was me suppling crank rods pistons and rings and bearings and cam shaft/ timing chain etc.They wanted $700 for eagle rods:eek: and $730 for crank. That is some mark up there.Frank at gofaststuff.com laughed at those prices. I was told to call opel engines in shaumburg ill also. they do quite a few buicks i was told.

Was that $730 for the crank, BHJ Balancer, SFI Flywheel if so where, My price is about $1400 just for that and that is not balanced, Then the rods about right takes it to around $2100, I think $80 for head gaskets, Mains, Rod bolts on and on, The JE pistons. Rings were right around $800,

2K range minus girdle. ??

I've read about DLS and I'll get in touch with them as well to see what I'm looking at. Thanks !!!

DLS is backed up most of the time. Tells you how popular he is. :wink: Or look at Extreme Automatics on the vendor page. He is very good as well and may have a shorter timeframe to get an engine done. Lonnie built a lot of the fast TSM cars. A guy in Mt Prospect IL bought a engine from Lonnie and is very happy. In fact Lonnie drove to his house when he had a problem with the cam sensor when the customer installed the engine. Not even a problem Lonnie created. But Lonnie made sure he got his car running right.

Was that $730 for the crank, BHJ Balancer, SFI Flywheel if so where, My price is about $1400 just for that and that is not balanced, Then the rods about right takes it to around $2100, I think $80 for head gaskets, Mains, Rod bolts on and on, The JE pistons. Rings were right around $800,

2K range minus girdle. ??

That was just the crank:eek: . I think when i bought my crank it was just under 400 the rods were 400 the balancer i got from pete at ans and the flywheel also i think they were just under 600.i think the pistons and rings were 500 that was ten years ago on the pistons. I got a deal on most of the parts because i worked on some problem cars for some vendors and swapped stuff back and fourth. Now i have to have a motor done for formula i am building for my girlfriend. so the buick is on hold:frown:

Thanks guys.

I have a quote from R&R Engines in Addison and it's in the 2K range minus girdle.

Skip is a good guy and he does nice work. I thought that all he messed with was big inch engines.
I will have to give him a call .I have known him for a while.

He said that he had done a few Buick engines in the past and that he was still in touch with ANS Pete so he seemed like he knew what he was talking about. He's built a couple small block Ford engines for a couple friends of mine. One is turbo and the other a nitrous motor and both are running 9's.
In Gen1 Lightning's by the way :D

Check out my short forsale. Ran the times in my sig with this short. This would be more then enough for your setup, you can't build it for what I am selling it for.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/parts-sale/236324-109-shortblock-built-steal-caps.html

Or get in contact with DLS. Just a word of advice. When building a shortblock don't look for the best price, look for experience and track record. If Dan at DLS touches anything for you, consider it the very best.

This is a quick breakdown on my set up.
$1100 on just machine work
$550 on Eagle H beams
$450 on Weisco forged with pins and rings
$500 on RJC girdle
$250 on balancing
$700 on ported & polished big valve heads (irons)

Thats what I've got so far. Now I'm doing all assembly (I trust noone in this part of the country for the Buick v6) I still have to get the roller cam and head gaskets. These are as I remember them so they may be off a little. I would think you can save a little with the rods but when I looked a t the cost of dressing the rods with good ARPs and mag, resizing I was so close I went forged. I've heard great thing about all the engine guys listed here. Now I wanted to keep the #s block in my car or I would have bought a board members built shortblock and been done with it. The short block ttypewhite is selling is a steal for sure. Best of luck Jon Hanson