ATTENTION!!!! NEW VERSION!! Strengthening The 2004r

Are there any good books out there for learning to rebuild the 200r or good manuals that go though a step by step basic rebuild? I know they wouldn't have these mods in the book, but just a basic rebuild book. I am considering taking on the task of building my trans. I've never rebuilt an automatic trans, but Im thinking this is something I am capable of doing as long as I dont need any super special or expensive tools.

Worst comes to worse I have many good friends that have built many transmissions if I need any help.

Man i seriously would advise against building it. And just send it off, I like Extreme automatics Lonnie is a great guy!

Bruce, you obviously know about this tranny, would you care to take a crack at a non-mainstream application with a couple of very non-standard mods? To give you a hint, it's a sports car application, attempting to raise the bar on 5 speed manuals for driving on road courses. The market for this is pretty huge but the traditional shift characteristics of the auto box makes it particularly unsuitable. What we need is the following:
1) An instantaneous manual shift, both up and down but up is more critical.
2) Shift firmness is modulated by throttle from full firm at WOT to very soft at closed throttle.
3) Manual downshift is always soft at part throttle, as soft as it is possible to make it, but at wide throttle openings it is firm and fast.
4) Automatic up and downshifts occur only with the shifter in the OverDrive position. In any other gear it stays put until shifted.
5) Shifter located lock-up switch which can operate automatically in OD but is manual otherwise. Can be automatic with a manual unlock.

Finally, and perhaps the most controversial mod, would be the ability to disengage the transmission at any time with a foot switch such as one attached to the former clutch pedal. This is not intended to be a launching device and the ability to launch with it should probably be disabled in some way. Instead it is intended to allow the driver to, "push in the clutch" at any time and release it with the drivetrain essentially re-engaging smoothly and without shock. I realize this is a challenge to implement, particularly the re-engagement, as the engine speed and throttle, vehicle speed, and gear selection might all change, but if it could be done it gives us something we've never had before in an automatic equipped vehicle, and pretty well eliminates the very last vestiges of perceived manual transmission advantages. So I guess the real question is, do you see the vision?

Regards,
Jim

Any new development on this application, would be very interested as I am building an apollo with turbo 6 and am planning on doing lots of auto cross and road racing?:biggrin:

The heighth of your car. They are fine if you have the ground clearence. It is all up to you.
Let us know.
Bruce
WE4
ww.PTSXTREME.com

Neither of my cars is lowered, so the deep pan shouldnt be a problem.

As you stated, heat kills making a trans cooler and a higher capacity pan a given.

I hear marbles (or something loose) in mine at idle in neutral and low speed cruising... coupled with soft (sloppy) shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 at more than 1/2 throttle. The car is an 84MCSS with an '88 CZF trans. (and a few other mods) :biggrin:

Good info but i still don't know much about these transmission but i want one in my s10. Good heads up tho.

I realize that this is an old thread, BUT the info still holds true..

BUT, I've been toying with the idea of getting an older Caddy (50's) using a freshened up 472, F/I, and a monte SS (200r4)trans that I've had a freind build a couple years ago, and air-ride suspension.
How do the 200r4's deal with low speed torque?
What stall for a BIG HEAVY CAR and would not cook the trans? (have NO idea of rear gear as of yet)

I frequent the pull-it's whenever I can and so What specific models do I search under?
If the 'tag' is missing, is there any other casting #'s to look for?
And speaking of tags, which codes are the ones to get? (in a round about way, can you take a 200r4 from, say a LaSaber and build it for a performance app?)
You never know what you'll find in the yards down here..

Thank you for the great info
E

My first tranny issue, need a little advice please.

Hey team,

I have an 87 GN with about 30K on it, mostly stock accept for some "bolt on's" Most current action it's seen is the inside of my garge accept for the weekly cruise. Lately I've been experiencing shift problems when hot. I installed a tranny coolers about 15+ years ago so everyone knows. Problem is around downshifting when slowing down, seems its getting stuck in a higher gear until I actually come to a full stop. Then when I've been driving for about a half hour, the upshifts now are affected.

Just had a complete tune up, including changing the tranny filter and fluid. Problem still exisits, really stinks. I live in Nassau and read about Turbo Buick Performance in Valley Stream as a recommenrdation. Just wanted to get a broad view, very sad day!

Let me know please, thank you in advance Frank

Shift kit

What Shift kit should I use on my Regal 83 trans...How is the B &M ?? Am putting in a GN completely Rebuilt 84 Engine...

If anyone is still wondering if the Deep PSTXtreme Pan will work on your Buick. I have had this pan on my car for a couple of years now and have never had a problem not once. I bought it when they did HR Power Tour when it came through St. Louis the first time over at Gateway Int. Raceway . Great guys, I also got some other stuff from them as well. I had a guy in Jerseyville IL build mine. I run ET Streets and launch hard at the track and on the street and have never had a problem. ;)

So, seeing as how this sticky is 10 years old, I was just wondering if all the recommendations are still current? Are there part recomendations billet shafts, etc... that were not avalible in 2002 that should be added?

I'm building a 2004R right now and I copied all that info and still reading it. On G body forum someone said don't use the red alto clutches for some reason. Any thoughts? Any updates?

Attachments

• 2014-06-17 21-10-52.278.jpg
    2014-06-17 21-10-52.278.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 798
Could have sworn i bumped this thread since the original post is from 2002?

Yea I thought you did.

I also would enjoy hearing from the pros what is done differently now. Seems there are different paths depending on which builder you talk to.