ATTENTION!!!! NEW VERSION!! Strengthening The 2004r

49 blues, Eric Schertz in New Jersey and Vince Janis in Ohio, both use our parts and do great work. Try looking them up (both participating vendors here) if your interested. We also have an agreement with Haas Shipping and they give a break to all board members on shipping. If you need any further info, please don't hesitate calling the shop. Thanks, Mark :D

yep

908.704.8536 Dynotech in NJ

Bruce
WE4

Originally posted by WE4
TECH:

*OVERDRIVE PLANET:
The OD planet is notorious for cracking the splined pieces and or stripping the splines. This can happen from a 15 sec Olds to a high 9 sec car. This piece is going to need to be addressed to continue to put hard power to these transmissions. I was really hoping someone else would step up and make the OD planet and ring gear, but everyone seems to think that it's a losing effort. It will be the next part addressed by us but I need to gather my bearings before we take on any more. I have two ideas in the works, but right now they are just that, thoughts and ideas, but I do have people on it. Wish another company would get involved. *UPDATE!!!! Mike Kurtz (Century Trans) has stepped in to assist, test , and back this project!! Alright Mike!!! Together, with the NEW Billet splined OD planet , we may have solved this too!! We will keep abreast.

Wow. That was some good reading. I am having a problem with my overdrive planetary. Let me give you a little back ground. I bought the car (1989 TTA) in MD. I was driving her home to RI and I punched it on the highway it downshifted and then it had no gears at all. Had her towed home from NJ to RI. I removed the trans and brought it to a very reliable, very compitent shop. A friend of mine that specializes in performance transmission builds. The splines of the overdrive planet where wiped right out and cracked in two spots. He installed a new planet and an input shaft. I drove the car tonight and the same exact thing happened, only this time it was accelerating at around 100 mph. I am sure once it is opened up the splines are going to be a mess again. What should we be looking for as the cause? Is it just the part itself that can not handle the torque or is there another part/problem that makes the planet fail? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

88GTAinRI said:
Wow. That was some good reading. I am having a problem with my overdrive planetary. Let me give you a little back ground. I bought the car (1989 TTA) in MD. I was driving her home to RI and I punched it on the highway it downshifted and then it had no gears at all. Had her towed home from NJ to RI. I removed the trans and brought it to a very reliable, very compitent shop. A friend of mine that specializes in performance transmission builds. The splines of the overdrive planet where wiped right out and cracked in two spots. He installed a new planet and an input shaft. I drove the car tonight and the same exact thing happened, only this time it was accelerating at around 100 mph. I am sure once it is opened up the splines are going to be a mess again. What should we be looking for as the cause? Is it just the part itself that can not handle the torque or is there another part/problem that makes the planet fail? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

88GTAinRI said:
The splines of the overdrive planet where wiped right out and cracked in two spots. He installed a new planet and an input shaft. I drove the car tonight and the same exact thing happened, only this time it was accelerating at around 100 mph.
My guess(and its a guess) is your planet set is not geting enough oil. If it oils the same as a 4l60e you can cut 2 groves on the sun gear and eliminate the overheating that causes this. Someone else please tell me if im in the ball park. :)

GDNF2ET said:
Where can the sheetmetal aluminum pans be bought from ?

We are the only one's that has the deep and shallow pans that give you a bottom feed pick up that is a true bottom, and the very back of the pan bolt pattern pick up. The shallow pan gives you 2.5 quarts extra fluid and the deep, which we advise for non-street use mainly, is an extra 4.5 quarts for fluid. Give us a shout if you have any questions. HOTTOGO put a link to our website in his prior post. Thanks, Mark

I take it the deep pan is not recommended for street use due to the pan hanging below the frame?:confused: :confused:

Well... it depends on..

I take it the deep pan is not recommended for street use due to the pan hanging below the frame?:confused: :confused:

The heighth of your car. They are fine if you have the ground clearence. It is all up to you.
Let us know.
Bruce
WE4
ww.PTSXTREME.com

Bruce, you obviously know about this tranny, would you care to take a crack at a non-mainstream application with a couple of very non-standard mods? To give you a hint, it's a sports car application, attempting to raise the bar on 5 speed manuals for driving on road courses. The market for this is pretty huge but the traditional shift characteristics of the auto box makes it particularly unsuitable. What we need is the following:
1) An instantaneous manual shift, both up and down but up is more critical.
2) Shift firmness is modulated by throttle from full firm at WOT to very soft at closed throttle.
3) Manual downshift is always soft at part throttle, as soft as it is possible to make it, but at wide throttle openings it is firm and fast.
4) Automatic up and downshifts occur only with the shifter in the OverDrive position. In any other gear it stays put until shifted.
5) Shifter located lock-up switch which can operate automatically in OD but is manual otherwise. Can be automatic with a manual unlock.

Finally, and perhaps the most controversial mod, would be the ability to disengage the transmission at any time with a foot switch such as one attached to the former clutch pedal. This is not intended to be a launching device and the ability to launch with it should probably be disabled in some way. Instead it is intended to allow the driver to, "push in the clutch" at any time and release it with the drivetrain essentially re-engaging smoothly and without shock. I realize this is a challenge to implement, particularly the re-engagement, as the engine speed and throttle, vehicle speed, and gear selection might all change, but if it could be done it gives us something we've never had before in an automatic equipped vehicle, and pretty well eliminates the very last vestiges of perceived manual transmission advantages. So I guess the real question is, do you see the vision?

Regards,
Jim

Jim

I am very interested in what you have going. Please email me a contact phone number to PTSXTREME@aol.com ( Please put on the subject line Jim's idea) and when is the best time to contact you and I will as soon as the email hits, that day.
Let me know and I will return the call. OR, you can call 916-739-0510 9:30-4:30 PST M-F, and we will chat.
But I am willing to call you on my dime.:biggrin:
Lemme know.
Bruce
We4