as an engine change in California

jiho2

Sporadic Poster
Suppose you want to replace the original NA motor and 3-speed in a slightly older G-body with an 84-87 sfi turbo and 200-4r.

Assuming the turbo motor itself is completely stock, and all its emissions-control ducks are in row -- is the referee going to certify it? Anyone have enough knowledge and/or actual experience with the regime in California to know?

I've studied the "engine change guidelines" provided by CARB. Aside from the fact that the turbo is "hotter", the possible gotcha I see is that the NA motor has a smog pump whereas the turbo doesn't.

I just talked to John Baltazar, who is the Referee Supervisor for my state control region, and was assured by him that there is no devil in this little detail, you CAN install the SFI turbo motor despite the fact that it has no smog pump.

But lest you think that this indicates a bit of sanity in the rules -- it's because GM said the SFI turbo was ok without a smog pump, and the state just rubber-stamped it, and not because the state actually thought about it or anything of that nature. As long as the motor was certified (by GM) to the same or later year as the vehicle, and to the same or better "class" (i.e. "passenger car" and not "truck") then the state does not quibble.

Yes you may. I have a 1981 regal 3.8 NA and I swapped in the entire driveline from an 87 and have is smog legal aka Cal Bar'd. If you need help you can always ask me

Anything you can do to a GN you can do to an engine swap, however I wouldn't mention any deviations from stock such as the turbo.
Btw, when I had my Cutlass referreed the tech couldn't find correct info on these engines. For example, one reference showed some of the smog, etc that the 84-85 cars had and another was lacking info. He figured it out and I got my door decal (Yeay!:biggrin:)