Are Champion Ported TTA Heads stamped "champion" ... pics of my heads with questions ---

alwayscode390

I bought these heads thinking they were champion ported irons for the TTA ... ready to rock and roll with the Harland Sharp Roller Rockers installed. Its been a few years since I touched them ... but I am getting close to installing my build.

Do these heads look like Champion Ported heads? The port work looks like it could be CNC ... I have never seen CNC work on iron before ... and on aluminum they tend to have a pattern showing.

They are TTA 7515 Castings... which is good.

The only aftermarket stamping that I could find was on the fronts on the smooth tab near the bottom side ... one head says " 87 " in bigger numbers , then "3704" in smaller number below. The other head says " 85 " then "3704".

Do you see any issues just by the pics posted that I need to address? I am still learning a lot and could use the heads up before I get stuff rolling. The guy I bought them from said he lifted the heads and pulled them off ... is that what the leaking around the chambers is from?

mcslub.jpg

o5yh4k.jpg

25tf1mr.jpg

2j26wch.jpg

206ix.jpg

2liezx0.jpg

65nacn.jpg

All champions I have seen had both exh crossover passages filled. Looks like the center cylinder blew or had a leaking head gasket. I would get them checked for flatness as well.

All champions I have seen had both exh crossover passages filled. Looks like the center cylinder blew or had a leaking head gasket. I would get them checked for flatness as well.
Is that the square port that is closed up in the 4th pic down? There is one filled on each head right?

Thanks for the advice on what to look for .. get checked out ---

Oh wow ... the curved one isnt filled on mine.

I wonder if I have an older set or they arent Champions? Hmmm

Can I send these pics to Champion, and will they be able to tell? ---

From the pix they look like Champion ported irons... Check if they have 1.77 intake and 1.50 exhaust valves ... I would take them to a good machine shop to be checked and milled before install.

Joe

Is milling when they shave the bottom where the combustion chambers are and make the heads perfectly flat? Will that mess with my compression much?

I just checked, they DO have 1.77 intake and 1.50 exhaust valves installed.

Thanks for the help ---

I say that because of the staining outside where the fire ring on the head gasket rests on the center CC. Notice the other two have the staining marks are contained to the CC vs the center

I bought a set of Champion ported irons for my TTA from Champion. They supplied the cores and they did not stamp champion on them.

That engine probably had detonation. There were compression leaks on both heads. I'd get them checked for cracks. In between the valves is common especially with larger intake valves and get them re surfaced. Those heads deflect more than the rwd castings and are very prone to head gasket burn out.

The left most cylinder on the bottom pic looked like it was leaking too.

Thanks, I sent this thread to Champion to see if they could identify the heads for me ---

Champion is great ... got back to me already.

They ARE Champion heads ... they DONT stamp the TTA heads.

When I have the heads surfaced do I have to worry about the Compression Ratio going up? Is that also called "decking" the heads?

Thanks ---

Yes it is the same, you can alter the final compression ratio with varying head gasket thicknesses...