Anyone put car parts in their checked luggage when buying a car?

turbotroy

Hey All! I know this is probably more a question for the TSA,

Has anyone recently flown anywhere to pick up a car, and brought parts with them in their checked baggage?

I'm planning on packing a New set of Bilstiens shocks, a coil pack and module, maf, fuel pump and hot wire kit, Scanmaster rigged up to a cigarette lighter plug, a collar for the steering column, and a few other theft prevention devices, Along with vintage '80's cassettes for the concert sound!:cool:

On x-ray, this may look like makings for a bomb. I'm picking up this car in one corner of the US, and planning a nice road trip to the other corner. I feel it's FAR safer to have parts for this 28 year old w/ 44,000 original mile beast, and buy tools if I need them, then to "fly naked" Of course, I'll have an AAA card.

What do y'all think?

Should be fine I've carried lots of the above items with no issues

I fly a lot with parts as long as you send them in your luggage there's no problem. Tomorrow I'm flying back to FL with a 20" rim.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I fly a lot with parts as long as you send them in your luggage there's no problem. Tomorrow I'm flying back to FL with a 20" rim.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Thanks for the info:) That 20" rim ought to make them smile!;)

I figure I'll just put a note in there for the TSA: I'm buying the luxury version of the Grand National, and these are the parts I need to get it home!:cool:

I've carried on all kinds of car parts. You can even have a screw driver if it's under a certain length.

I'm good man, how's things?

I bought my truck in Phoenix AZ and drove it 2400 miles home. The truck had 190k on it so obviously i wanted to take tools. I packed a suitcase to exactly 50 lbs once with nothing but tools. Had an OTC scanner in the suitcase all wrapped up with pads / towels.

TSA left a note. They searched my suitcase, took the scanner out and when they put it back they didn't wrap it back up. I wound up with a cracked screen on my scanner :mad:

Yep, i did it too when i flew to FL. for my x-country drive to CA. Tools and parts.

Hey Daniel, can you find me a wheel too. ;) Still need to replace the bent ones on your old car.