anyone in eastern NC able to help me measure bearing clearances?

shocker998md

Hey guys, this is a long shot but is there anybody with in an hour or two of New Bern NC that could help me measure my bearing clearances? I had a machine shop polish the factory crank and they measured it and I also double checked the measurements with a mic at work and this is what I've got.
rod journals 1-6 measured at
The mains 1-4 measured
At first I ordered standard and 001 king bearings and I measured my clearances and they were .02 ish too big. I removed standard and 001 bearings out of the mains and rods. I look up on all data what the journals should measure and it looks like at some time my rod journals were cut .020 but here is where it gets interesting. The old bearings were standard and 001s and the car had decent oil pressure at hot idle. I took big end measurements of the rods torqued without bearings in them and they are round and I didn't get any funky readings.
So fast forward to last week I talked to the machine shop, we double checked the rod journals and he looked up in his books and we both realized the crank had to have been cut at some time. Here is why I'm asking if there's anybody locally, the machinist said he would just roll in a set of .020 bearings and call it a day, that I shouldn't bother measuring them. So I feel if I ask him to measure out my clearances he may not do it properly. I have tried using a fowler dial bore gauge and I'm not trusting it, I think its a combination of user error and the gauge itself not letting me get repeatable results.
From the my threads before, the plan with this engine was to re ring it, re bearing it and assemble it to get the car moveable on its own again. So is there anybody out there that can help a brother out with measuring out oil clearances? I've set my ring gaps and am thinking that with the new main bearings my crank thrust will get back to the tighter end of normal as well since it was on the looser end of acceptable.

Give Richard a call

Attachments

• 1446677175065.jpg
    1446677175065.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 161
it looks like at some time my rod journals were cut .020 but here is where it gets interesting. The old bearings were standard and 001s and the car had decent oil pressure at hot idle.

Something "wong", with this statement. There is NO WAY that engine ran w/ the crank @ .020 under, and std brgs. BTDT. My machine guy had a s/b assembled by one of his morons, doing this very thing. We started it, and it sounded like a can of marbles....

I posted my measurements of the journals up top. I have pulled the old bearings and they are standards and 001. I find it crazy that it ran fine and had oil pressure. Ill be calling Richard up as soon as my schedule frees up.

Last edited: