Anyone ever experience oil leak from filter due to rubbing?

billygeg

Hey Guys
Has anyone ever experienced a oil leak due to the filter rubbing the intercooler bracket? I was driving the car last week for its last run of the year before it gets put away for the winter. Car was running fine when I parked it at a friends house.. When I left, The car was bogging and smoking. I got it home and being it was late and dark I didnt bother with it.. The next morning I started it and it was running fine but I noticed a leak by the oil filter. I also noticed that the filter was sitting right up against the intercooler bracket. Figuring maybe the bracket rubbed a hole in the filter, I took it off and noticed a pretty deep mark in it but there was no hole... Looking for the leak elsewhere I could not find it. So I figured maybe it was leaking from the pressure of leaning on the intercooler bracket and disturbing the seal. So I bent the bracket slightly away from the filter and put a new filter on..Oil leak is gone..Just curious if anyone has experienced this issue before?

Attachments

• IMG_0289.JPG
    IMG_0289.JPG
    674 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Something is off. The filter shouldn't touch that bracket. Car likely smashed in front at some time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bracket has to be bent or something

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

I cant say for sure but on my car there looks to be some sort of adapter where the oil filter screws on which brings the filter out further and closer to the bracket...Im not very familar with the setup so I could be wrong..Please take a look at the picture I provided on my first post and let me know what you think

Looks like that is an extra capacity replacement oil filter which is longer than the stock one. Get a stock replacement oil filter which is shorter and that should solve your problem with it rubbing.

Looks like that is an extra capacity replacement oil filter which is longer than the stock one. Get a stock replacement oil filter which is shorter and that should solve your problem with it rubbing.
Its a stock filter for the car but I think the unit behind it that mounts to the block might be a ad on or something

One oil filter AC PF47. Optionally, an AC PF52 may be used for a little extra filter area

The stock oil filter is small. In fact it looks like it belongs on a go cart.

Are you sure that is a PF47 oil filter on there? Hard to tell from a picture on the internet.

Something looks to be up with that bracket. Even a biggie oil filter doesn't rub and it has a larger O.D. It's close but it doesn't rub. The stock O.D. short filter should clear with no problem. (also, next time you buy a filter get one for a 94 S10 4.3 VIN W. It'll give you more pressure at idle)

I can't tell from the picture but it looks like a non stock intercooler and a stock bracket.

Looks like someone added an oil cooler between the filter and the oil pump adapter of the oil pump.

Is the driver side intercooler bracket still attached? Not a really good picture to tell. Looks as if the intercooler shifted lifting the bracket up. Passenger side bracket should be under the filter by quite a bit. Is the up pipe still attached going to the throttle body. Could be causing the bog.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I havent addressed the bogging yet..I havent driven it since..I only started it the next day and it seemed to run fine so I assumed that maybe it was acting up due to it having hardly no oil in it! I took some more pictures hopefully you guys see something. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    661 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    750.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0409.JPG
    IMG_0409.JPG
    561.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    708.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    554.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    660.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    767.4 KB · Views: 94
Is it the pictures, or is the intercooler closer to the engine on the passenger side?

If so, look under the car where that bracket meets the timing cover. There should appear to be a nut spacing it from the alum cover. if the bracket is directly against the timing cover you most likely found the problem.

the stack order should go: timing cover/exposed hex/intercooler bracket/nut/plastic wiring conduit