Anyone able to offer technical advice on a Lexmark printer? (cartridge issues)

6SENSE

Ive got a Lexmark X83 all-in-one. Worked great for awhile then finally color wouldnt work. Finally the black ink didnt work. I found out from someone that you really need to print something in full color at least once a week or I guess the cartridges will dry up (or something like that). So I guess it was my fault because I tried to not print in color unless I really needed to and then didnt print anything for awhile.
I tried refilling the cartridges, but no change. Finally [today] I went ahead and bought some new cartridges. The printer recognized the new color cartridge and it works just fine. However it does not recognize the new black cartridge being there and keeps saying that the black ink is low everytime I try to print something. What is causing this, or better yet what can I do to fix it? Anyone?

TIA, Justin

Most Lexmark printers should have their little "toolbox" software that you can run and tell it you put a new cartridge in. Just as an FYI, I hardly ever use my printer at home, and it still prints fine. Yes, your ink cartridges can dry up, but not from not printing in color once a week.

Just a dumb question, but you removed the protective film that's on the contacts didn't you?? Also, try a q-tip and see if you can clean the contacts on the printer and cartridge.

I also agree with trying to get the software to recognize it.

I have problems with printer drying up as well when I go away sometimes for two months.

Good luck.

E-mail Lexmark support. I had the same issue with my x125.
I forget the exact procedures, I think you start by un-plugging it for a few minutes to erase the memory. When you plug it back in, it will go thru a "new" set up process. Maybe your's is similar to mine.
Good luck.

Thanks all.
ShouldIBuy, couldnt find any "toolbox" software :confused:
gn85, yes I did remove the protective film from the cartridge and I tried cleaning contacts with q-tip and alcohol.
Zero Tolerance, just went ahead and sent email in to Lexmark tech support. If the main problem is just getting the software to recognize that the cartridge is full there should be some fix. I hope they have a solution. After spending money on the ink if the printer cant be fixed easily I mise well have just bought a new printer:rolleyes:

Should you decide to throw in the towel and buy another one, give me a hollar. I have a NICE Brother MFC 7050C all-in-one that is compatible with windows 98 and prior, complete with cable, software, manual, etc.....cheap! If you're interested.

Lexmark Printers

I don't have any experience with the printer you are talking about but usually with Lexmark printers you can hold the go and stop buttons at the same time while you power it on and it will let you into the service menus where you should be able to reset the errors. The only other thing I could think of would be that the ink sensor is bad, this doesn't happen very often though. I'd Google the error number that the printer is giving; you can usually find a lot of info on them and how to fix them. -Gabe

The best advice I can offer you is throw it away. Honestly, Lexmark is crap.

I sold printers for YEARS and there was an unspoken rule that we didn't sell the Lexmark ones. They always break down.

I have some advice, buy an HP printer, ink cartridges are cheap and reliablility is awesome. I've had my HP for 3 years and hasn't failed me once.