Anybody ohm their subs?

GNRick

Retired member
I wired my Dayton 12"dual voice coil subs individually in series, then I connected them together in parallel. They only say dual voice coil on them. I don't know if they are 2 ohm or 4 ohm but when I checked them they each check out to be 10.4 ohms when wired in series. Then when I connected them together I got 5.2 ohms. My little Alpine amp is bridged and puts out 175 watts into 4 ohms. I can feel the bass but the resistance for each sub seems kind of funky. Any comments?

Wow! That is quite the website. So to correct my terminology, I wired the voice coils in series, and then I wired the subs in parallel. PartsExpress calls them 8 ohm subs but according to my ohm meter they are 10.4 ohm subs (when the voice coils are wired in series). Maybe I'll head over to Best Buy before they close for good (anybody see their stock price plunge today?) and try ohming their subs just for kicks. Yeah, I have too much time on my hands.

Just check each coil separately, they should read 8 ohm but may vary slightly, usually less than .5 ohms, and if they do then you should be able to wire both of them in series and have a 2 ohm load. Just make sure that alpine is stable at 2 ohm in bridged mode

The subs are dual 8 ohm voice coil. If you wire each sub in series each speaker will be 16 ohm total. THEN wire the 2 subs in parallel and you end up with a final 8 ohm load.(or close)
IF your amp is 4 ohm mono only, you will be putting about 100w to both subs with an 8 ohm load.

If you wire each sub in parallel, each speaker will be 4 ohm. You can then wire the 2 subs in parallel (2 ohms) or series (8 ohms). In this case, 8 ohm gives you the same as above. 2 ohms will
be great IF your amp can run 2 ohm mono. Don't try it unless you are sure as you will blow up the amp if it can't go that low. Buy an amp that will run 2 ohm mono.

Lastly, run 1 sub wired in parallel and get a 4 ohm load. Your amp will like it and it should see around 200 watts.

Hey guys I wired the voice coils in series and I got 10.4 ohms per speaker. So I can not get 16 ohm per speaker. My amp is not rated for 2 ohm. So is it ok if I wire one sub in series and one in parellel? If so, I can get 10.4 ohm from one sub, 5.2 ohm from the other sub, and 3.9 ohm combined if I did the math right. This would be perfect for the amp.

No they won't play at the same volume. :(

Impedance is measured at frequency with an impedance bridge, an ohmmeter just gets you in the ball park to see what you got at DC which is 0 hz.

You can only wire them, using dual coils, as Patriot has explained above nicely.

Those are your choices, otherwise your way they won't play at the same volume due to different power levels at each speaker.

I'd wire one 8 ohm coil each in parallel to get 4 ohm load.

Assuming they work properly with one coil only used.....

I never buy dual coil woofers.

So it looks like your voice coils are 5.2 ohms each thats 10.4 ohms total resistance at each woofer. So all in series is 20.8 ohms...too high.
Resistance rule in series is resistance total is additive...each resister added to each other.
Now if you wire your woofers each in Parallel then your total resistance at each woofer would be 2.6. Then wire each woofer together in series and the total resistance will be 5.2. Thats a series parallel circuit...you calculate parallel portion and then that total of the parallel portion you add that to the rest in series. If all are wired parallel then you rt will be 1.3 and your amp will not work or overheat in a short time when pushed.
So looks like your choice is both woofers each parallel and then wire them series to each other. Your wattage will be a little lower than at 4 ohms but will work.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Turbo Buick

I wired my Dayton 12"dual voice coil subs individually in series, then I connected them together in parallel. They only say dual voice coil on them. I don't know if they are 2 ohm or 4 ohm but when I checked them they each check out to be 10.4 ohms when wired in series. Then when I connected them together I got 5.2 ohms. My little Alpine amp is bridged and puts out 175 watts into 4 ohms. I can feel the bass but the resistance for each sub seems kind of funky. Any comments?

Nope. The lady at Subway does it, when I get one.............:D:p

So it looks like your voice coils are 5.2 ohms each thats 10.4 ohms total resistance at each woofer. So all in series is 20.8 ohms...too high.
Resistance rule in series is resistance total is additive...each resister added to each other.
Now if you wire your woofers each in Parallel then your total resistance at each woofer would be 2.6. Then wire each woofer together in series and the total resistance will be 5.2. Thats a series parallel circuit...you calculate parallel portion and then that total of the parallel portion you add that to the rest in series. If all are wired parallel then you rt will be 1.3 and your amp will not work or overheat in a short time when pushed.
So looks like your choice is both woofers each parallel and then wire them series to each other. Your wattage will be a little lower than at 4 ohms but will work.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Turbo Buick
Yep, that is how I did it. Both subs in series, then wired together in parallel. Thanks.

Buy a bigger amp that will run 2 ohm mono and rewire them when you can. You will see a HUGE difference in sound - not only quantity, but quality with more power.