any need for alchy with a front mount?

ez at nova

I hate rice
I am saving for a front mount, but have recently been intrigued by the alchy injection. I've seen it in a few cars but never one with a front mount. Should I just forgo the alchy and put in the FM?I think with my engine being mostly stock I should stay away from anything above 23-24 lbs no matter if there is knock or not. Right now I run a bit over 18 lbs with no knock in cool weather with 94. (te-60) With 104 I can run 21 lbs. I was hoping with the FM I could run 20-21 on pump gas and 23-24 on higher octane, so it doesn't seem like there's room for improvement left to use the alchy too. Also, I could be wrong, but it seems that the alchy simply lowers egt, allowing more boost before knock, while the FM will allow more boost while increasing the overall efficiency of the making of the power at any boost level compared to before having the FM, giving bennefits greater than simply running more boost.
Thanks,
Jeff C.

i dont think you want to run 20 to21 pounds with a front mount. i got one a few months ago and i just dont see it on pump gas. maybe im wrong, there are alot 0f guys on this board that know more than i do, but i personnally wouldnt try it unless it was real cold out and had a scanmaster. actually im installing a alky kit next week and cant wait. im sure you will get more opinions.:eek: :D

Well, you might be right about not wanting to up the boost more than I have it at now (that's half of my question on my original post), however, something is tuned wrong if you didn't feel some major pull with the FM. My mechanic (Dave Hentz) keeps telling me this is THE mod. THE one that is teh seat of teh pants mod. In his words "the car will pull as hard is it does now on race gas, on pump gas when you get the FM" So since I'm at 12.2 now, I'm expecit to be able to street 12's (likely high rather than low since I won't have the slicks on the street) and pull mid-high 11's with good gas and slicks.
Jeff C.

Originally posted by ez at nova
Well, you might be right about not wanting to up the boost more than I have it at now (that's half of my question on my original post), however, something is tuned wrong if you didn't feel some major pull with the FM. My mechanic (Dave Hentz) keeps telling me this is THE mod. THE one that is teh seat of teh pants mod. In his words "the car will pull as hard is it does now on race gas, on pump gas when you get the FM" So since I'm at 12.2 now, I'm expecit to be able to street 12's (likely high rather than low since I won't have the slicks on the street) and pull mid-high 11's with good gas and slicks.
Jeff C.

Baloney!

Why not get both?? I got a FM and I really like it. Helps with spool and allows you to run more boost. I am able to run 21# on 94 octane with a thrasher 92 chip. I went 12.99 at LVD with pump gas, street tires (not DRs), through the exhaust. This was with a 2.0 60 foot time. I do have to admit this was running the car on the edge though, I wouldn't want to run it all the time like that. Other mods include 44, bluetops, higher stall conv. Alchy will be one of my next mods.

A good FM will allow you to run more boost but NO WAY will you be able to run 20 -21 with just the addition of a FM. Get the alky and the FM.

Don't believe me, get the FM then try running 1 psi more of boost at a time and see if you get knock. Unless you want to change a head gasket..... How much boost do you run now?

I am quite sure I will be able to run 21 lbs with the FM on pump gas. I run 18 now on humid hot days, and 19 on cooler days/night with a max of 3 degrees on the Scanmaster.
I've had it spike to 20+ degrees of knock then go right away on highway downshifts when I punch it (4th to 2nd gear) but I think that has more to do with engine load and something else besides just regular boost levels and such.
Jeff C.

Hmmmm.....

Well I say try it but try it slowly. Like I said try 1 psi at a time until you get to 21 so you don't waste a headgasket on your first pass. Let us know if it works so then I can start trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with my car. I have a v2 and can run 18 or so even after cleaning the front mount. Maybe it has to do with chip timing....

It may be timing. I'm running Jay C. 93 chip on the street, and Jay C 100 at the track. I don't know the exact specs but I wuold guess they would have relatively low timing.
Jeff C.

If your running 18-19 lbs of boost, then with alky you could probably run 25-26 lbs with a 100 chip.

I was running 16-17 lbs of boost on a 93 chip and would get 2.5KR (stock turbo). I put the SMC kit on, put in a 108 chip and cranked the boost to 21 lbs. I would get 0 kr. I now have a pt 54 and 55 lb injectors. I put in a RA 100 chip and last time out I was running 23 lbs of boost with 0 knock in third gear. All of this with a stock intercooler.

I just walked a buddy of mine that has a pt 44, front mount, THDP and all the other little goodies.

I stand corrected as I went out tonight and tuned my car somehow to run 20 psi on pump gas.:confused: Don't know how I did it but it was pretty cold out. I have a V2 if that helps you out at all.

You should be able to atleast run 18# with a front mount If your car is tuned properly.I can run around 20# of boost on 93 octane with around 1.5 knock only when I jump on it.Then it goes away.Most chips or going to drop the boost down a little in third gear anyway. With the alky I can run close to 25# of boost.
Tune Tune Tune! A freind of mine (vader 87) was runnng 19# of boost with the stock intercooler on pump gas. It is all in the tune of your car.