...and then there was GNX #548

IF.......the only reason you have , or bought this car, is because you feel it will
piss people off......... you need to grow up!.
this board does NOT need childish people like you here,
BUICK= fast with class.
somehow, you do not fit that category.

look up harold/ knife boy. see what happens!
Hmmm are u upset well u are not the board so really don't matter what u think. ;)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The history of this car is cool
It would be nice to see former owners speak up
Why thanks that's the only reason I posted was because I figured it was a cool history not to get conformation on value as its not for sale I'm still in contact with 2 of the previous owners as far as the original owner never meet him

Dude, chill out. The car is neat with a fun backstory. Let it ride. It's not like it's being peddled at Barrett-Jackson as being an absolutely authentic yet previously unknown GNX with faked supporting documentation. :rolleyes:

The story has been told and everyone knows it's a converted '85 GN that's about as close to being a real GNX as can be without actually being one. #548 it is. ;)
Agreed !!!! I haven't read EVERY thread....HOWEVER, I don't believe this car's story is being told as an '87, just "GNX 548". Read the title...where's ANY mention of a year ??? Just the implication that it's the year of an official GNX. That being said, any harsh comments toward the current or previous owners of this car are uncalled for (in my opinion). I agree with recent posts of this car being unique with an interesting history. I don't see where anyone's trying to fool anyone. I knew this car and one of it's previous owners years ago, back around 1992-93, and the history is just as interesting now as it was back then. Personally, I am glad to see that this car is not sitting around collecting dust ( as too many of us are likely guilty of ). One thing is certain, 548 keeps the fire well-lit in this forum !!!

Last edited:
The original owner obviously wanted to have a gnX and knew how many were being made that already were spoken for. So being that the original owner were part of or associated with the gnX conversions at ASC in some way, it made it easy for them to some late night have their '85 GN converted over to a gnX spec turbo buick. I think the intent of the original poster wasn't to insight any riot, they were hoping others would chime in to help verify any back story on the car. It's cool the car is being restored back to its original glory and the backstory is verified on it. It may not be a true 87 gnX, as it was an '85 conversion but is still cool being it has legit gnX ASC parts and isnt just a cosmetic copy of a gnX. Keep up the restoration on it, thanks for sharing a unique piece of history that a majority of the public wouldnt of heard of otherwise.

The original owner obviously wanted to have a gnX and knew how many were being made that already were spoken for. So being that the original owner were part of or associated with the gnX conversions at ASC in some way, it made it easy for them to some late night have their '85 GN converted over to a gnX spec turbo buick. I think the intent of the original poster wasn't to insight any riot, they were hoping others would chime in to help verify any back story on the car. It's cool the car is being restored back to its original glory and the backstory is verified on it. It may not be a true 87 gnX, as it was an '85 conversion but is still cool being it has legit gnX ASC parts and isnt just a cosmetic copy of a gnX. Keep up the restoration on it, thanks for sharing a unique piece of history that a majority of the public wouldnt of heard of otherwise.

Perfectly said

I'm just curious, did the one who did the conversion pay for those late night parts?

"What difference does it make!?"
untitled.png

Just curious, 547 people paid legitimately for thiers. And it's a point I have not seen it mention. Were checks left behind for the upgrades. I mean everything is beyond the statute of limitations by now so what's the harm of asking.

Last edited:
I think the point is kind of simple
Asc didn't have exactly 547 intercoolers, turbos, gauges etc
They were parts available I'm sure
And I would say if they conversion was done was a employee of asc or mclaren I'm sure they recieved a discount .
Either way the car got built and it's a cool story!
And the entertainment is in the story, "are you not entertained" a quote from the gladiator movie ??

My question was not to ruffle any feathers it was just as you put it, part of the entertainment of the story.

VaderGN Just curious, 547 people paid legitimately for thiers. And it's a point I have not seen it mention. Were checks left behind for the upgrades. I mean everything is beyond the statute of limitations by now so what's the harm of asking.

VaderGN My question was not to ruffle any feathers it was just as you put it, part of the entertainment of the story.

of course not :confused:

Very cool story, when the car was updated from 85 to 86-87 drive train, how and what exactly was done, and by who. Then taking it to the next level of the GNX assembly line - in my humble opinion makes it a cool piece of automotive history. Can't help finding it interesting that an 85 underwent this transformation, that some guy was in the position to do all of this, and had the interest, money, or stones to get it done. Keep the updates coming, thanks for sharing.