Aluminum Radiator Support

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
What cars can I find an aluminum radiator support? What options?
Conrad

alphaenvirmgt said:
What cars can I find an aluminum radiator support? What options?
Conrad

All my years of working on G bodies, I have never seen one...

I have been told that they are most commonly found on 78-80 Cutlass and Buick "Fastback" bodies...

Take a magnet with you to the boneyards and happy hunting...

Skip the Cutlasses........there are none. 78-80 Grand Prixs or Lemans. Also, some Regals or Centuries......even station wagons. More likely to be found of GPs with Pontiac V-8 motor, but not a lock by any means. Rare as hen's teeth. ;)

Hi Guys,

Conrad....A guy over on V8Buick.com had (5) of them for sale a while back. I bought one of them for my 469ci Stage2 SE '86 Regal. His name is Terrance Williams and goes by "Texas Ranger" over there. May want to contact him to see if he has anymore for sale. The one I got from him was VERY nice to say the least!:)

Hope this helps...

[QUOTE='86 455 Regal]Hi Guys,

Conrad....A guy over on V8Buick.com had (5) of them for sale a while back. I bought one of them for my 469ci Stage2 SE '86 Regal. His name is Terrance Williams and goes by "Texas Ranger" over there. May want to contact him to see if he has anymore for sale. The one I got from him was VERY nice to say the least!:)

Hope this helps...[/QUOTE]

How much of a weight savings is there over the comparable steel one?

HI85WH1 said:
How much of a weight savings is there over the comparable steel one?

13 lbs. and with the addition of an F-body radiator, probably good for a 25-30lb total. Not a whole hell of a lot, but progress. ;)

Red Regal T said:
13 lbs. and with the addition of an F-body radiator, probably good for a 25-30lb total. Not a whole hell of a lot, but progress. ;)

Now if I can just find one here...

Lee Thompson said:
They did come in Cutlass. BOP!!!!

Out of all the mid size cars, they sold more Cutlasses by far than any other. I have NEVER found an aluminum core support on a Cutlass. Seems reasonable that, in their overwhelming numbers, I would have seen one. I've taken them from GPs over and over, and to a lesser degree from Regals and Centuries. How come no Cutlasses? :redface:

cutlass

I have removed @ least 10 in central In.
Mostly from GP, a few from Regals and 1 from a fastback Cutlass.
My friend who owns a bone yard looked in his book and that is what it says they are in. BOP---no Chevy.
There is a way to tell by the vin # but I don't know what it is.