Aluminum bumper absorbers safe on street?

nickrov

Hello All, I am slowly grinding on the restoration of my car and was wondering if the aluminum bumper shock absorbers are safe to drive on the street? I can think of reasons yes and no , Anyone have constructive opinions?

Thanks for your time.

Nick

You’ll be fine.

Imagine this. When the factory absorbers max out compression on an impact the frame takes over.

It doesn’t take much of an impact to max them out.

D

You’ll be fine.

Imagine this. When the factory absorbers max out compression on an impact the frame takes over.

It doesn’t take much of an impact to max them out.

D
kinda what i thought. But i don't know much :}

I just had someone back into the front of my car, screwed up the impact strip....the factory shock allowed the bumper to move 1 1/4" which took the paint off of the filler but allowed the bumper to return back to position. Im not sure what the damage would have been with the aluminum mounts as they do not move.

I was looking to install the aluminum mounts before Bowling Green to save a little weight, glad I didnt. Just my thoughts...

Bryan

What is the actual weight savings?

I'd say so. I recently t'd a deer on a 40mph road, but for insurance purposes can't say my actual speed. As you can see, minimal damage for the rate of speed and direct impact. I spooked him, he darted out from behind a bush, and I didn't even have a chance to hit the brakes. I plowed right into it, lifted it, and sent it soaring a good 60'-100' in the air before it went skidding across the road. I couldn't believe it didn't even kink my fenders or damage either aluminium bumper support(since they don't move). That deer was solid and the impact sounded horrible. I'm just thankful he didn't roll up onto my hood or into my windshield. Because when I saw that thing lift, I damn near shit myself.

I know our cars don't have air bags, but sometimes I think they should've come equipped with or at least optional, body bags.

Attachments

• 1447211309058.jpg
    1447211309058.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
I'd say so. I recently t'd a deer on a 40mph road, but for insurance purposes can't say my actually speed. As you can see, minimal damage for the rate of speed and direct impact. I spooked him, he darted out from behind a bush, and I didn't even have a chance to hit the brakes. I plowed right into it, lifted it, and sent it soaring a good 60'-100' in the air before it went skidding across the road. I couldn't believe it didn't even kink my fenders or damage either aluminium bumper support(since they don't move). That deer was solid and the impact sounded horrible. I'm just thankful he didn't roll up onto my hood or into my windshield. Because when I saw that thing lift, I damn near shit myself.

I know our cars don't have air bags, but sometimes I think they should've come equipped with or at least optional, body bags.
this had me laughing out loud seriously ! Glad your ok. Sorry about the car.

Throw a fiberglass bumper on there while your at it ;)
This isnt a weight issue at all. I have plenty of power, its really more of aesthetics issue. If i could find new shock absorbers i would use them. I just dont want ugly old parts on my car.

lots of folks drive their cars with 'race only' parts on the street
most of these folks do so because they feel they are good enough drivers to stay clear of danger
problem is there are so many imbeciles driving that you can't be aware of them all
when one 'dumb-fvcks' out on you do you really want those weak bumper supports?

Take your stock ones and refurbish them to look good again and use them. Clean them blast them and repaint them.

Last edited:
At the age of the cars now, the gas charge has left the shocks in most cases, so even a light hit can cause them to bottom out and cause more damage in a low speed hit. This happened on my old 89 olds. I bumped a truck in a parking lot and my bumper was in on one side until I pulled it out a few weeks ago. The truck had no damage, and this was less than 5 MPH.:(

I plowed right into it, lifted it, and sent it soaring a good 60'-100' in the air before it went skidding across the road.
The pic certainly doesn't match punting a deer "60-100' in the air". I call BS on this.
Your old lady backed into it w/ her Yugo pickup truck, or you got loaded, and hit the bench in the back of the shop.:hungover:
On top of that, that Buick won't have enuf power to punt a 200# deer 100':D

Chuck, maybe it's all those reruns of CSI you watch or maybe it's that time you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. I know you feel smarter, but actually your not. And let me call bs on your super sleuthing skills, because the fur in my grille and on my impact strip tells a different story. Yes, like Ripley's, believe it not, that deer most certainly got punted. Actually, it took flight. Pretty surreal. I just wish I had irrefutable videographic evidence, because this would've made for some good watching. Don't quit your day job, Perry Mason.

What more can I say, "Blessed by the Buick Gods." :)

Last edited:
With the flat front ends of these cars it makes sense that it was launched as opposed to a corvette front end that would wedge under it and send it toppling over the car and if the bumper being solid to the frame, if it absorbed most of the impact it would also explain the minimal damage.

Although, a great amount of speed would still cause considerable damage.

You must have laid on the brakes pretty hard and brought it down to an ideal launch speed with minimal damage.

D

It sure is funny how the self professed "troll sniper" has indeed become the troll. Also, why so sensitive? Does your cramping ass need a Midol?

Last edited:
So getting back on track, the weight savings is not significant and the impact absorbing of about and inch or so is useful to have. Good to know.