Almost Rolled it Today

TT/Ameasap

The White Blur
I almost rolled my truck this morning headed to work. I live in IL, so we have winter here and the roads didnt look to bad at all. I was headed down Interstate 80 on a straight path going 75-80 mph in 2wd. Out of nowhere, my rear end swayed 90 degrees to my right really hard and I was headed to the grassy/snow mix median. I counter steered it and rear went off the road and I was 90 degrees the other way and rear was digging in hard in the grass/snow. I looked out my DS window and saw the ground and realized how fast I was really going...Thats when I thought to myself ..."this is it, Im going over". I counter steered the other way and after a few more fish tails, I landed it on dry road with a big growling bark from all four tires. Looked down and seen I was still going 65mph after all this.

Got me really thinking about a cage in my car. It only takes ONE time to get out of wack and end up hurt or dead. Although, I have bags in the truck, It still would have been ugly at that speed. My TTA did 102mph in the 1/8 mile with the old heads. Im well past 80 in the bottom of 3rd, which I do all the time. Scary to say the least.

Be safe guys!

Lucky man ..

I too have been contemplating a cage, my wife is pushing hard for one!
I went 112.6 in the eighth in BG in TAI and she was not happy about it not having at least a roll bar.

Bryan

Lucky man. Btw, frontal airbags most likeley wouldn't even deploy in a rollover.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Be careful and god bless, all of you. And get a cage/roll-bar. It could be done nicely without butchering you car.

It is a 2011 Nissan Titan and I think it may have the curtain bags... Not sure. It has bags on the A pillars tho.
All I can think about is Scott's crash at the big end and how a cage saved his life. All it takes is ONE time and you won't get it back, or a do over.

We spend a bunch of Money to protect our turbos, paint, and motors than we do on the most important part of the car...... The driver!

didnt look to bad at all. I was headed down Interstate 80 on a straight path going 75-80 mph in 2wd. Out of nowhere, my rear end swayed 90 degrees to my right really hard and I was headed to the grassy/snow mix median. I counter steered it and rear went off the road and I was 90 degrees the other way and rear was digging in hard in the grass/snow. I looked out my DS window and saw the ground and realized how fast I was really going...Thats when I thought to myself ..."this is it, Im going over". I counter steered the other way and after a few more fish tails, I landed it on dry road with a big growling bark from all four tires. Looked down and seen I was still going 65mph after all this.

You probably don't want to apply for a NASCAR license....

Good save my friend. I had the same thing happen this year but not as bad going Christmas Shopping. Black ice under a bridge. I saw it and was prepared for it and I still got loose at 60 mph.

The cage or bar is a good idea but it will never happen in my car. Just don't want to alter the car that way and I know it only takes once but I don't run it enough to worry about it.

You probably don't want to apply for a NASCAR license....
I think you meant to say I should apply for a license....Even Tony Stewart would have had his hands full in this situation.

Wish I had a dash cam. You guys would have been proud of the driving skills with a little luck..lol

Been there done that. It truly is the definition of a come to Jesus moment. Sometimes the big man has other plans for us that keep us here on earth despite the known laws of physics. After I changed my drawers after my experience almost 35 years ago I vowed never to take chances on crummy tires. I change them out 4 at a time well before they are down to the wear bars. Not worth a crash. Just bought 4 for the wifes truck. Old ones not even down to the bars but they were no good for here in New England.

Lucky man ..

I too have been contemplating a cage, my wife is pushing hard for one!
I went 112.6 in the eighth in BG in TAI and she was not happy about it not having at least a roll bar.

Bryan

I'm in the exact same situation. Went 9.90 in limited in BG. Nothing but a seat belt and a helmet. I'm retiring the limited and putting a 6 point in my wh1 right now just for this reason.