all in favor of a breakout rule at Noble.

breakout rule for Noble?

Votes: 14 26.4%

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • no break out rule

Votes: 15 28.3%

• Total voters
The post above makes it appear dat a 9sec Turbo regal can hang.
So you would be left holding the trophy!

Not sure how fast da Mustangs are that go there. It seems like these days around local tracks there are quite a few dat are running LOOOW 8's and high 7's dat look like street cars.

The breakout rule would be nice, again to keep it honest for both sides and to help those on your side, not sure if it will get changed to that or not.
On the other hand, it would be freakin' awsome to see 150-200 Buicks at this event. One of the reasons I go to this event is to see alot of other Buicks as well as to race, I've met and made lots of Buick friends at this particular event. I would think if we hyped this thing up over the next year we might see a better turn out thus increasing the chances of winning.
If this rule gets implemented or not (I still am for it) having participation IS going to be the reason behind losing or winning.
Lets pump this up, get more involvment from the Buick community, slow cars , fast cars, doesn't matter, lets beat them with attendance. As mrstage1 said, make this a must attend race and I would think there would be a good turnout.

I agree we just need more attendance from team Buick. Dick Walker has done everything but beg people to show up and race their cars and you would be surprised how many people are afraid to race. It is not a matter of how fast your car is, it is about supporting your team. How many Buicks were in the pits that never went down the track?

Ted, check for results on the okbuicks.com site and click the drivers meeting picture and it will take you to a line by line, fastest to slowest times by name. We did not have any seven second runs this year. Past years results are posted under the Archives button. Dick W

Arguing over breakout rules is NOT the answer.

I have been to the event the past 9 years and competed 7 times. I'm 5 and 2 counting this years retarded issue with my car, otherwise I had their SANDBAGGER covered. I rarely track race my car these days although I have through the years probably made 2000 passes in various cars. I will straight up admit to running late at night for "pride" on a deserted road somewhere.

What I see killing us right now, and it pains me to admit it, is two problems:

1 The Ford guys are better racers. Yep you heard it. On average they are younger and I'd wager, spend more time at the track with their cars or running them for money on the streets. Something alot of the more "mature" in the Buick community do not do. By the time they get to Noble they are very familiar with what their car needs to run well and have the seat time to drive it to it's potential. That, and what comes with being a regular racer of their cars is that killer attitude of "Want to win." These guys have something to prove. It may be a "fun" race when tooling around in the pits but I KNOW groups of Ford guys get together and talk about how they are gonna whip our asses... and they are serious about it.

2 Team spirit. this kinda fall salong the lines of "want to win" but different. I notice a sense of fun and comraderie among the Buick guys. I love this about our community, but I also see it as our downfall. More and more I've noticed that alot of the people that come to this event take almost a recreational attitude about it. It's more about hanging with buddies than it is smacking around some Fords. This is a failing. First and foremost guys, this is a race. I think if more guys got serious about the race part of it, THEN had fun with buddies, we'd do alot better. The Ford guys are winning right now because they CARE MORE TO WIN than we do. If we made this about beating the Stangs for our pride I guarantee you we'd get a stronger field involved. I think alot of the fast guys see how casual most are about this race and figure it's no big deal, why bother towing out to run.

Until we decide we want to beat those Fords and campaign for a team that can do it, we WILL lose since there are 100 fast Fords to every Buick out there. I always have a good time when I go, win or lose.....but I hate losing and even with minimal voltage to my system, I drilled the spray in second gear to try and run down a 9.50 car, even if it meant replacing the pistons in the motor. Lets try and get fired up for next year early, and roll down there and take them out. I know I will be there again, faster and stronger since I have Buick pride and won't make excuses or rules to help me feel better for why we lost.

I like this guy.

Right on Phil,

I had a most excellent time.. again. This is my second time out there in 3 years. The first time was incredible, I was absolutely overcome with excitement to come back ... bring Pumpkin. Well, it hasn't happened yet, although I thoughtI had a good chance of getting it out there this year. I could only afford to fly out and do some tuning for customers. Just not enough time to drive out with the trailer. I must say, I'm not really interested in attending from the standpoint of vending, too expensive to get out there. But I am still more interested than ever to figure out how I can get my car out there. I want some of those mustangs... :cool: I know 2 of my customers I worked with were running mid 12's but were not launching hard, when it came time to race, they both smoked the mustangs off the line and never looked back. I saw the red mustang James raced, get off the line, hit the juice and then pull off to the side, something didn't work.... :smile: Ole ray, just came out hard and hung on at the end of the track... I thought my coaxing to get up on boost and hit the lite was the reason they won... the reality is them ole boys, didn't need me to tell them how to race... like James said afterwards, "this isn't the first time I raced a mustang"!!! :cool:

To sum it up for me, I want to see us kick some butt, whether I bring my car out there or fly out to help in the pits... I plan onbeing there again next year. Dick, the Gordons and the rest that put this on are just the best... we should all be grateful we have them. There are too few events and too few participating Buicks because we can't have it our way. If we just show up, have that desire to win and show up ready, we can win!!

I wish I would have run into you there Jack. I'll look for you next time. :biggrin:

How soon would you guys like to start a list of attendees? Im game to start right now and get people commited asap! If gas stays low and we dont all lose our jobs, we should all make it down. Looks like they are shooting for mid October for the race which would be ideal for me.

Well, since Buick vs Ford is about the only time alot of the locals around here get to see me put up a real number on the score board;) it shows how much I love coming to DW's event.

Sooooo.... count me in for '09

1 Mrstage1, Overkill Street Performance and Racing Lawrence,Ks
....next

2 mhogan6 Cedar Park,Tx
....next

2 mhogan6 Cedar Park,Tx
3 TKGN1 College Station, TX
....next

I like this guy.

I wish I would have run into you there Jack. I'll look for you next time. :biggrin:

Will, I plan to be there, really want to add my name to the list of cars, but should at the very least attend. I haven't worked on my schedule for next year, other than BG, Norwalk, Etown, Reynolds and Cecil. Those are events close to me, I have committed to. Hopefully Noble will be scheduled so as not to fall on the same date as other events, such as Reynolds. If I have enough time for traveling out to the west, I plan on bringing my car. I have a few different boost settings I can run... one for qualifying, one for racing... :biggrin: Look forward to seeing you... Also, sorry Dick for not making it to the BBQ or seeing you much at the track... it'll be different next year!!! Also, thanks for the fancy Limo at the airport, at least I got to ride around the entranceway. That was one fine car!!

Not sure how fast da Mustangs are that go there. It seems like these days around local tracks there are quite a few dat are running LOOOW 8's and high 7's dat look like street cars.

Here are the results of the shootout. You can click on this attachment or go to OKBuicks.

Attachments

• 2008%20buick%20ford%20race%20official%20results.pdf
    30.3 KB · Views: 84
Going by the results, Buicks-15, fords-21 running faster than .500 than their qualifying runs. Will a breakout rule help, who knows?
LOL, looks like a fairly level amount of sandbags!!!!

I've tried not to post to this, but you guys are just driving me crazy. Especially good friends on here that have NO CLUE on how this event is supposed to work. It's a TEAM race.

Let's let some data do the talking. Here is this year's results, 2008, with just 23 out of the 50 or so "pure Buick" 2007 racers that WERE NOT there this year!. I saw at least 1/3 of these people sitting in the stands and not racing. I've excluded some, like Bob Peterson, who I know won't be bringing a car in 09. Bob was there though... and he is a big supporter.

Here are the top 23 (guys that "I" know should be there) that I overlayed into the results. Using their qualifying ET's to place them into the ladder. NOTE: only 3 sub 10 sec cars, 2 10 sec cars and the rest were 11.0 and above.

These results do not include R/T's though.. so.. Buick racers still have to be good racers.

TAKE THE TIME TO UNDERSTAND THE DATA! Racer count (and fast enough cars) wins. Looks like a BOPC slaughter to me, but that's not what happened.

Attachments

• top20.jpg
    top20.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 203
  • alt1.jpg
    alt1.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 210
  • alt2.jpg
    alt2.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 218
  • alt3.jpg
    alt3.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 209
I guess I would have lost my race this year had I gone, and wouldn't have even got the top ten plaque:mad: BUT team buick would have had alot better odds. Sorry for not making it guys. My car was down on power at the end of the year due to some damage and I just couldn't bring myself to travel 450 miles to race a hurt car. Plus it was over halloween & I have three young children.

John Plog

I have to tell the story of Edie Blanchard and her win at the Shootout which was the highlight of the Shootout fore me. Edie had decided just before the Shootout that she wanted to drive Tracy's car and he was glad that she wanted to do so. She qualified with an 11.33, her personal best, and ended up being matched with a Mustang that Tracy knew was a 9.50 car. She had been coached well and cut a fast light with a great launch, so she jumped out well in front of her opponent. The driver of the Mustang hit it too hard, too fast and blew away the tires almost going into the wall, having to back off and drive. Edie continued to put distance between them and the Ford guy got excited, over peddled the car when he got it straightened out and spun the tires. By this time, she was out of reach, he knew it and drove slowly to the end of the strip. I've known Tracy for nearly 10 years and Edie for about 6, and they were both the most excited that I have ever seen either one of them.

Let's get ready for next year and make sure that we have more cars than they do. If we do that, we can win the event next year without any rule changes.

Phil Engle

The car you speak of HAS NEVER run a 9...actually...that day was the best it has ran...and the only time its been at the track all year...

The fords left all the fast cars at home...you buick guy's got lucky this year!!!

The car you speak of HAS NEVER run a 9...actually...that day was the best it has ran...and the only time its been at the track all year...

The fords left all the fast cars at home...you buick guy's got lucky this year!!!

Yep,thats what I am afraid is also true. Lots of FAST fords from Dallas stayed home because of the NASCAR race.

Josh: There must be a similar car because the person who ID'ed that car is a very reliable source who spends quite a bit of time at the track. I wouldn't put much credibility in this post if it did not come from you.

Like most folklore, some of it is based on fact and some of it is enhanced by
telling and retelling. The fact is that she outdrove a guy with a faster car and it's still a great story.

I know some of your guys went to Missouri but I don't buy your statement that ALL the fast cars stayed home.

Hope you get your next car running and keep it pointed down the track next year.

Phil Engle

i'll be there regardless, id perfer no sandbagging.. I mainly show up to the event just to hang out and visit with my Buick brothers and do some racing..