Alky vs. Turbo

F

Four-Four-Two

Just curious as to which would be more effective... streetwise.

Stock turbo, blue tops, stock IC, w/ alky. Most likely running 93 octane with alky, probably 20-22 lbs boost.

TE-44, bluetops, stock IC, 93 octane/xylene mixture. Not sure what kind of boost is possible. Say 20 psi.

I'm basically trying to plan for the future, whether to upgrade to a TE-44, or get an alky kit. Don't say both cuz I can't afford both. :D

:confused: :confused:

Alky

I'd spend as little as Possible first, then get a bigger turbo.

(Disregard Sig. as that one was on the car when I bought it)

Just get the alky kit. The xylene/93 mixture gets expensive too, doesn't it Jorge? You'll be surprised how fast the stocker is with the alky and 22psi!!!

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
The xylene/93 mixture gets expensive too, doesn't it Jorge?

Yup. And I get the 5 gallon tanks for 30 bucks, but thats only last about three weeks (if your nice to the gas peddle) :D

Let see, $350 (cost of alky kit) divided by $30 (cost of 5 gallon tank) is about 12 tanks. I get one a month so thats about a years supply right their.

I can run 21 psi (SAFE, NO KR) on Xylene and as I've read, some can run 24-25 with alky.

As soon as I get this tunning stuff :D down pack, I will get the alky kit. Hopefully, next month cause I think this new JL 93 chip did the trick.

$350 for SMC but you can do a DIY for about half that. I've been running alchohol as described by Steve Monroe instructions for over 2 years. Never misses a beat. Not what I heard about SMC. I run a stock turbo and boost to 22 lbs. Half and half mixture of isopropyl and distilled water. If you're keeping yourself to a budget, this is the way to go. ;)

Originally posted by Red Regal T
$350 for SMC but you can do a DIY for about half that. I've been running alchohol as described by Steve Monroe instructions for over 2 years. Never misses a beat. Not what I heard about SMC. I run a stock turbo and boost to 22 lbs. Half and half mixture of isopropyl and distilled water. If you're keeping yourself to a budget, this is the way to go. ;)

What kind of times you do run?
What are your mods?
:D

Last time I went to the track was with stock turbo, intercooler and injectors with 180,000 miles. Regular street tires and pumpgas with alchy, 19-20 lbs. of boost and ran 13.0 at 109 with a 2.0 60'. At that time I also turned 8.1 at an eigth mile track with the same setup. Can't remember mph.

Going a little faster now but haven't been to the track. 50lb injectors, stretch intercooler, but still stock turbo at 22 lbs. of boost with no knock. Got to blow off a C5 a couple months ago. :D

Originally posted by Red Regal T

Dude, shoot those instructions my way.

Jorge_p80@hotmail.com ....That's Jorge_P80

TIA

To Jorge or anyone who'd like to put together a good alchohol injection system for under $175..........Search for any post by Steve Monroe (stevemon) and you'll find the URL for the DIY alchy system. It fully explains the parts you need and a step by step of how to install it.

;)

Thanks John.

Hey, maybe we can meet one night in Bradenton Park. Test and Tune on Thursdays and Saturdays right.

First, this thread belongs in the ALKY area.

It is fine to recommend an alternative unit but to indicate that there are 'problems' with someone's product with no supporting data is not necessary. There is no comparison with the DIY kits to the SMC product, hand down! There is also no comparison with the # of SMC kits in the field as compared to the DIYs so naturally there will be a failure once in a while.

If you want to save a couple bucks, that is understandable but don't compare apples to oranges. A DIY will always look like a DIY installation whereas the SMC product is clean, inovative, and supported by the owner of the company.

No offense to any of the Steve(s)..........Monroe, Hill, and etc..

Just my $.02,

Hank