Alky on a Carbed Engine?

gunnervirus

My Car's Too Loud...
Hello All,

I've got yet another question. Has anyone run alcohol injection on their Carbed Turbo Regal? I've been reading the posts in the alky section about the SFI guys running 22-25 lbs of boost. I was contemplating adapting a kit to run on the carbed motors. Would using a NOS plate under the carburator work? Or would drilling and tapping the jet directly into the intake plenum work? Would 16 lbs of boost be too optimistic?

Thanks,

Ben

Hi

I am working a progressive system using a fuel injector , and alky pump (gulp , ford pump :() ).

I have a 24 # injector , But I try to convert that into Gallon per minute , SO I can figure out what pluse width to start with.

The plan is to have it come on around 12# of boost with a narrow pluse width , and increase pluse width as boost increases.

Now I hear alky is going to raise hell with the injector. We'll see

I had a very simple setup on my old engine , but didn't play with it much. (a small jet shooting right into the carb). It did slow the car down , because I was spraying to much.

Does anyone know what a 24# inject flow at 100% in gallons per minute ? @ around 45 # psi of pressure (ball park Idea).

FC227 runs a Alky on his car. The NOS plate IMO would not give you the right spray, adding a sprayer on the intake plenum would work better.
Have been thinking on this for a little while, I was goes to replace the intake plenum with PVC tub and elbow and tap the alky kit into that. The PVC tub will smooth out the air turbulence (sp) verses the stock one.

Dang fred I type to slow......
I was thinking that 2 or 3 nossles that have a VERY fine mist and not a spray. b4black had post a company that sells them, but with the move and all I have lost the site :(

Ok, so the NOS plate is out of the question. So much for ease of installation :p . How about using the nozzle from the SMC kit, and drilling / tapping a hole at the bottom of the intake plenum, pointing the nozzle straight down into the intake manifold?

Ttype83: Would the heat from the turbo melt the PCV?

Thanks,

Ben

I saw this thread and will relate my experiences with running alky/water injection.
I had a 82 4cyl. Mustang back before the GN. It was a carb motor pulling through the carb. I ran a simple injection system using a winshield washer pump and reservoir. The best mix for me was about 60% methanol 40% water. I was able to increase the boost from the stock 6psi to around 11 psi.
The main advantage of injecting alky or water is the cooling effect on the charge. Vaporizing water and alky take heat from the charge therby cooling it down. The disadvantage is that the added alcohol makes the mixture richer so there are diminishing returns from adding alcohol.
I used a simple adjustable needle valve with the nozzle mounted in the air cleaner spraying directly into the carb throat. A pressure switch turned the pump on at 6 psi.
I later ran a mixture of 40% water, 55% methanol and 5% nitromethane. With this mix, I was able to get the boost up to 14psi. The nitro works like nitrous breaking down under heat and liberating aditional oxygen. The added oxygen allows more methanol to be added which cools the mixture more.
Working with nitro is a dicey proposition so I would not recommend it to anyone unless they are willing to chance doing damage to the engine. The 4 cyl 140 Ford engine was very rugged and I was fortunate not to break it while experimenting with the various mixtures. I heard detonation from that engine that sounded like someone was using a sledgehammer on it. That said, have fun, experiment and learn. HTH:)

With the fuel injector i'm going to have it shoot into the outlet of the turbo. Straight down into the intake.

I am also working on a modified carb metering block , since my carb is a holley , an it is a converted double pumper to a vacuum secondary. the squriter in the rear is not used. But I am finding out that these metering blocks are a very poor casting and I blow a hole right though it when I try to weld up and plug ports.

I am like the injector idea more.

How does J-B weld hold up to alky & gas ? , An epoxy whould be better here I guess ?

Originally posted by fc227

alky pump (gulp , ford pump :() ).

I take it your talking about the efi'd Ford w.washer pump? I heard they're good for 40lbs. initially but fall off some after that.

Ttype83, I think McMasters is the place you were thinking of?

I plan on using http://www.mcmaster.com/ 's high flow nozzle # 3178K87, which is nickle plated and has it's own filter screen. I think it's $6.
I purchased two pressurized T-I alc. injection tanks from GS70350 that I plan on using on both T's. They look pretty cool, like left over 70's road race stuff. I think I'm going to put the nozzle under the carb. in the carb. plenum so that the alc. will have more of a chance to atomize in the turbo. Since I have two, I think I'll try each one in a diff. spot on the mtr. I'm gonna try to set it up w/out a pump first & see how that works. GS70350 says that's how his is set up & works good. If I plumb the tanks inlet to a boost pressure line the alc. volume should rise with the boost pressure.

Actully I was talking about a ford inline F.I. , external fuel pump . Some one on there alky web site is using this ( I forget who) , I guess it has all stainless inners & viton seals. Its off of a "88" ford F150 5 lilter.

Fred, JB Weld has been keeping methanol separated from coolant for several years in my overported heads. Maybe it'll work in a carb casting as well. GB

Originally posted by gunnervirus
Ttype83: Would the heat from the turbo melt the PCV?
Sorry, (spending 4 hours on the road makes my posts confusing) the intake plenum I'm talking about is from the air box(filter box) to the carb. It would be well away from the heat. The PVC tube would smooth out the air flow going to the carb.

Fred :confused: but so was my post, so I guess I wasn't taking about those heads. I try to type more clearly

Turbo Rich YES that's the site :D If you search hard you will find a misting nozzle. This will help in the alky atomize before it gets to the carb IMHO.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

I think I'll save up my pennies for an SMC kit and mount the nozzle just before the carburator.

Thanks again :D

Ben

If I ever get my 81 Turbo TA running I am going to have to try running a nitrous fogger nozzle plumbed into the elbow that is between the turbo and the intake (after the carb and turbo), probably a 90 degree nozzle shooting into the air stream.

Just my $.02 though

I'm going to try that this weekend , Or monday. I going to use a Ford (glup) Fuel pump , NOS nozzle in to the elbow after the turbo .

I figure if I don't like the result , I can alway hook up the giggle gas to it.

Fred,

How different is the spray pattern of a NOS nozzle verses a NOS plate?

I'm starting to rethink the plate idea... if the plate spray is too coarse, wouldn't the turbo help atomize the alky?:confused:

Thanks,

Ben

Ben;

The nozzle I will be using is a fogger nozzle. with a High pressure pump (60-90 PSI). subtact the 22# boost I will run that will still give me (38-78 PSI) to the injector.

The problem going before the turbo (if any) is that it will beat up the compresser wheel more . Yes the turbo will"mix" it up .

I'm going to try and see what happens , If it doesn't work I can plug the hole and move it before the turbo.

Or add NOS and push it towards the 11's :)