air blowing out pushrod holes with air applied to cyl's, reuse copper HGs?

D

Datsunboy

Two quickies guys, first can I reuse my copper headgaskets that were on the motor.. ehh nevermind im gonna replace em. WHeres the best place to purchase, and whats the goin rate.

I applied air to the cyl, and felt air coming out the pushrod holes, but after removing the intake discovered a gunky spot where it seemed as if the headgasket may have been leaking. I took off the heads for a valve job, because at this point milage is unknown. The cylinder walls were not gouged or anything, so thats a plus. Can someone tell me roughly what size the top ridge would be on an 80k or so motor? I am curious, the ridge isnt HUGE but bigger than i found on my nissan motor.

ANywho, i bit the bullet and took the heads in for a valve job, cant hurt can it :) I had a disturbing amount of air coming out the pass side exhaust, whereas the driver side wasnt TOO bad.

THanks guys - Evan

Gaskets?

Do yourself a favor and forget the copper headgaskets... They are a PITA to seal,[should be used w/ o'ringed block to effect a good seal] will leak easily if not installed PERFECTLY and are of no real value on a street engine. I'd recommend you have the heads surfaced and use OEM gaskets w/ new ARP bolts.

back to weldin...:( :(

Thanks chuck, can you guys reccomend the felpro PN that I want for my gaskets? I want intake gaskets that use the stock valley pan setup, whats the felpro number for em?

Thanks guys - Evan

stock GM head gasket
Gasket, Head gaskets (composite) 25528486

Gasket Kit, Top End (Includes head gaskets, intake gasket, and valve cover gaskets) 12328759

FelPro Intake Gasket
Intake Manifold Set [Replaces #12328760] MS96033

FelPro head gaskets
9441pt (going from memory on that one, factory replacement head gaskets)

The first three numbers were taken off the gnttype website part# page http://www.gnttype.org/numbers/8687pn.html

Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc, should be able to verify the FelPro head gasket # I mentioned above...