A couple of picts of my engine build so far

Pablo

I'm finally on the home stretch with my buildup. After way too many trips to the machine shop I'm finally assembling everything. Checking, re-checking, correcting, and re-checking clearances has taken an unbelievable amount of time. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so anal about things. I'd probably get them done a lot faster. That said, I'll still have my fingers crossed when I open it up for the first time
engstand.jpg

engback.jpg

I still have to slide the pistons in. I need a better ring compressor than the one I've got so I'm at a standstill right now. Everything else is ready to go.

I'm pretty excited.
The specs:
.030 over
forged TRWs
de burred stock rods
stock wrist pins (lighter)
pistons and rods weight matched.
clevite 77 bearings (standard p series if I remember correctly, next time around ill use the wider rod bearings) roughly .018 clearance on mains and rods
speed pro moly rings, file fit .019 top, .025 second
cheapo chinese girdle, required some massaging to fit
stock crank, standard/standard
Comp Cams 212/212 flat tappet cam (keeping my fingers crossed)
Comp springs
comp lifters
Stock heads, ported by me. Back cut intake valves, new SS swirl polished exhaust valves. Seals on intake and exhaust. Decked, finished for felpro composite gasket.
ARP studs
Ported stock lower intake manifold

everything else will be the same as before, TE-45A, powerstroke ic, 72 lb injectors, maft gen II, 3" thdp, 150 shot of nitrous for spoolup, and a healthy dose of alcohol.

dry weight is around 3150.

I'm hoping for 10.50 or lower in the quarter.

This is my first short block build-up. I've learned a few things in the process. The main thing is that measuring equipment and knowing how to use it is worth the extra effort and cost.
Dial bore, full complement of micrometers, feeler gauges, even plastigauge helped me catch a few things that would have killed the engine before I even would have had a chance to enjoy it.

Just wanted to do a little show and tell

I hope you had the ledge of the Chinesse girdle machined, because it will hang out the ledge of the block were the oil collects and then tend to leak.. double check that..

I don't have the guts to do my own motor. You will probably learn a LOT doing it yourself!

I hope you had the ledge of the Chinesse girdle machined, because it will hang out the ledge of the block were the oil collects and then tend to leak.. double check that..

I thought about doing that but didn't. You think it'll come and bite me in the ass later? I'll be running crankcase vacuum. I suppose I can take it off and grind it down still. That would be a p.i.t.a. though. I guess it would probably be a good idea for windage anyway.

I thought about doing that but didn't. You think it'll come and bite me in the ass later? I'll be running crankcase vacuum. I suppose I can take it off and grind it down still. That would be a p.i.t.a. though. I guess it would probably be a good idea for windage anyway.

unless you sealed it real good, little things you overlook always come back later to bite you in the a z z, those china girldles are known for being seepy right at the girdle..nonteless your built is looking good..

Pablo go get The Right Stuff it will take care of any leaks.

Pablo go get The Right Stuff it will take care of any leaks.

Yes, I used The Right Stuff. I think I'll be taking it off to grind it down anyway. Might as well try and fab up a crank scraper while im at it.

Reggie, I just noticed you live in Temecula. I'm over here in Fallbrook, right up the street from you. I head into Temecula all the time. We should hang out sometime.