A/C Question: Leaking behind Compressor

Antbankstwo3

I typically don't use my AC. But we get occasional days where it's hot for us here (like today). I went to turn it on and warm air was blowing & clutch wasn't engaging. Check the system it was empty. I used it last summer several times so I just initially thought it needed a recharge. So I recharged it up and after it pressurized I here this "hissing" and see a "spray" coming from near the Compressor. After further research it looks like it's leaking from one of the two lines that connect behind the Compressor. It's damp back there near the lines.

I've never installed one or had to change my AC Compressor before myself. Is there an o-ring or something that might have went bad? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9524.JPG
    IMG_9524.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 97
Yes there are 2 orings back there. Did you see if the bolt came lose?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Yes there are 2 orings back there. Did you see if the bolt came lose?

I haven't dug into it yet since I was at the parts store. I am about to leave the store now tho. So there are a couple Bolts behind it then?

Just the one between the 2 lines you see

Like so
fc70246a774a26c7fe82c069d12f1b64.jpg

Thank you! As soon as I started to loosen the alternator bracket bolts that run from the back of the alternator to the header it started leaking behind the compressor. Probably shifted the lines a little bit. I went to tighten that bolt that's in between the two lines and it's tight. But when I move the hose by hand, I can get it to stop kinda. When I put my hand or finger over the top of the hose between where inserts and the compressor I can feel it coming out.

Those early compressors had an inherent problem leaking at the rear case which was subject to leaking between case and rear housing.

Our brutal summer temps drive the high pressure extremely high, and I replaced many of these years ago. My original 1987 compressor died in the early 90's.

The current version of this type compressor is in about it's third or fourth generation, lots of difference between a 1986-7 factory AC compressor and the current version.

Those early compressors had an inherent problem leaking at the rear case which was subject to leaking between case and rear housing.

Our brutal summer temps drive the high pressure extremely high, and I replaced many of these years ago. My original 1987 compressor died in the early 90's.

The current version of this type compressor is in about it's third or fourth generation, lots of difference between a 1986-7 factory AC compressor and the current version.

Hi Nick! Hope all is well. To my knowledge, the Compressor is "newer" than the original once it was converted over to 134 (before I bought the car). However, I'm not sure what model it is. Is there an O-Ring I can get to replace it, maybe a kit OR would u be better off replacing it when I can?

For as much as I don't use it, I'd hate to buy a whole new Compressor if I can fix it in the mean time with a new o-ring.

Mine did the same thing 2 weeks ago. It was the lines where they were made into the manifold. New set of lines and all is well.

The O-rings Boost231 show are for sealing the lines to the compressor, newer compressors do not use O-rings to seal the lines to the compressor, and do not recall have experienced them fail.

The newer compressors have "captured" O-rings in a metal housing that seal the lines.

However, after over many years they could give up especially with 134A?

The O-rings Boost231 show are for sealing the lines to the compressor, newer compressors do not use O-rings to seal the lines to the compressor, and do not recall have experienced them fail.

The newer compressors have "captured" O-rings in a metal housing that seal the lines.

However, after over many years they could give up especially with 134A?

Ok! Thank you for the info. Greatly appreciated!

Oh, you needed all new lines?

Yes mine was the lines. I pulled the lines loose resealed because I was sure that's all that was wrong. Same problem. Upon closer inspection the weld around the line to manifold was leaking under heat and pressure. Passed a vacuum test but as soon as the high side built a little heat and pressure it would literally start spewing. Amazingly the car still has one of the original pancake compressors with the o-ring seals. Cools like a champ.

Yes mine was the lines. I pulled the lines loose resealed because I was sure that's all that was wrong. Same problem. Upon closer inspection the weld around the line to manifold was leaking under heat and pressure. Passed a vacuum test but as soon as the high side built a little heat and pressure it would literally start spewing. Amazingly the car still has one of the original pancake compressors with the o-ring seals. Cools like a champ.

Dang! Great info to know. I appreciate the info. I'll start where you did and go from there.

Thanks again!