99 GS Need Front End Rebuild Best Place To get Parts ?

airgrabber

I took my 99 GS to my brothers garage due to some weird clunking,vibration etc coming from the front end. I was hoping it would be just one thing but I got a laundry list of items that are bad. I knew I needed a front bearing d/s and struts but I also need the following
1. steering rack
2. outer tie rod ends
3. lower control arms/bushings
4. sway bar end links

Any idea on brands and where I should get this stuff. He can order the parts but said I might save some money at Rock Auto. If you've been down this road and have any advice I would appreciate it . Thanks

you are right about rock auto i used them when i had my 01 gs. i also used moradpartscompany.com when i needed to replace my struts. they were the ones that told me that 2004 and up grand prix struts would fit my car and get rid of the rear sag that all of the gs cars have. it handles alot better too. on the lower control arm bushings just buy the assembly complete off rockauto with the ball joints its easier to replace that way. and join regalgs.org if you havent already they have alot of cheap parts and help.

Rock Auto. I did a friends .I did lower arms,quick struts,steering gear and sway bar and links. Watch the swaybar. It will crack near the ends. I got that from gmpartsdirect.com with end links for 97.00 and that was a heavy duty part. That was 4 years ago but Im sure they still have them. lube the flex coupler while steering gear is out. The big problem he ran into was the rear upper strut towers were rotted which is a common problem and he already had me order parts without looking at car. He told me there was no rust there. He never looked. They were wasted. He had them fixed but never seen how they did it. so look at the top of the rear towers

I'd do new cv shafts while you're there. They tend to eventually fail on the w body and pretty much make the car undriveable. Happened to my moms car and I don't think she spins the tires even on ice.

X3 on the RockAuto, just buy complete arm assemblies with the bushings and ball joints installed. If replacing the end links, just replace the entire sway bar. If yours isnt cracked now and its original it will crack soon, they all do. Just get the Dorman sway bar kit from RockAuto, same diameter as the upgraded GMPP bar. These cars also eat front tie rods, so I dont doubt you need those as well. Get Delco or moog, the cheaper ones will just wear out in 10k miles. As far as the rack, if its not leaking theres really no reason to replace. Mine has 170k on it and steering is like new, no leaks. Same goes for the CV joints, I have originals with 170k on them and theyre perfect. No reason to replace if the boots arent torn and you dont have any noise from them. If nothin you do fixes the clunking, check the motor/trans mounts, torque strut mounts, and cradle bushings. They can all cause some good clunking in the front end.

After I had the work done I was still getting some clunking noises, especially if I hit a bump and was turning.Turns out I also needed sub frame bushings.The rubber part looked fine but once out you could see the metal sleeves were wasted or completely missing.Drives really nice now.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app