'86 T-type steering box

ttypetex

Need to rebuild or replace the steering box for an FE2 optioned car. Think I have talked myself in to replacing by the time I typed this second sentence.

Is there a link telling how to remove/replace it? Thanks.

Just unbolt it, right? Remove the lines. Break the ball joint loose at the main link leaving the pitman arm on the box, and loosen the bolt at the rag joint. Pull it out. Am I forgetting something?

Thanks. Sounds like a piece of cake the way you describe it. But, and forgive my ignorance, what is that term "rag joint"? I've got a lot of white hair and never have heard of that. Sounds illegal.

Never mind. Searched rag joint on the web. Seems to be referring to the flexible connection between steering wheel shaft and steering box shaft.

Never mind. Searched rag joint on the web. Seems to be referring to the flexible connection between steering wheel shaft and steering box shaft.

The clamp bolt on the rag joint needs to be fully removed. It sits in a groove of the steering box input shaft.

Note that this is also a good time to upgrade the intermediate shaft. Search here for Jeep shaft (Grand Wagoner?). Can also replace the plastic bushing at the lower column. You'll be amazed at the difference these pieces and a properly adjusted steering box make.

RemoveBeforeFlight