'86 t type not getting power to fuel pump?

griz_83ho

Ok so getting closer and closer to finally firing this car up. Bought the car over the winter and it has sat for 5 or 6 years before in the guys driveway. Replaced the starter cleaned the tank, fuel rail and injectors and now the car still wont fire. Checked to see if power was getting tovthe pump and its getting nothing. Hooked 12v power up to the wireing on the pump and it kicks on. So what would cause no power to get tovthe pump?

check the fuse
relay
and oil pressure switch.
finally the computer.

I had several issues with my fuel system.
1-The computer was NOT sending a signal.
2-The pump still ran off of the oil pressure switch
3-My relay was shot - and it would stay on when ever the ignition switch was on the ON run position.

All fuses checked good. Where is the relay and oil pressure switch and whats the best way to check them? Sorry very unfamiliar with these cars. First one thanks for the help

The pump only has power for 2 seconds after turning the key on. Are you checking for power during that window?

My fuel pump quit running so i dropped the tank down some & when i twisted on those plastic caps on top of the locking ring above the tank hole it fired back up, earl what could that possibly be??

Plastic caps above the locking ring? It sounds like a a bad connection that started working when you were in there jostling around. The harness supplies both power and ground so the lock ring has nothing to do with completing the circuit. It sounds like you need to throughly inspect everything back there. That's one area you don't want to flake out when you're away from home. There's no roadside fix for something in the tank.

On my personal car I noticed a cold solder joint on the tube that sends ground to the pump. I fixed the joint, soldered a ring terminal to the hanger for the pump and put one on top of the hanger that I ran to the frame. (I also grounded the frame up front).

its a couple plastic caps, i guess they cover the wires as they feed thru the top into the sending unit. It worked a few months & then quit again.. thanls for the info ill deffinately check it out & make some changes!

Open it back up and look for signs of heat and sold solder joints on the tubes that run through the hanger lid. Make sure to take the gray plug loose that powers the pump (and carries the fuel sender lead) and look for any blackness or corrosion.

Ok so finally checked the harness for power within the first 2 seconds of turning the ignition on and nothing. Where should i start now?