84 85 downpipe

if there was as many hot-airs built as there was intercooled cars built. i don't think we'd have this problem, thats just my 2 cents.

lee thompson built 10 or 15 (can't remember exactly how many) 3" dps with rjc style wastegate a few years back for a very reasonable price, and if i remember reading correctly, there wasn't alot of people interested when it came down to sending payment. and that was a very nice pipe

mease, atr, couple others have made one. not trying to put a damper on things but it just seems like the hot air downpipe issue just keeps getting nowhere. and theres alot less activity in the hotair section than a few years ago judging by the searches i do. however, anything can change i suppose.

if somebody could build one in the $400-$600 price range, my guess is you could sell approx 6-10 a year if they fit nice and where a good quality build.

i think its pretty safe to say if they didn't eliminate the restrictive stock elbow then its pretty much not worth the effort, but i'm no expert.

i had a stainless steel 2.5" custom built 2 piece dp using the rjc wastegate built for me and for what it did to my stock turbo unopened engine, i am very very pleased. although 3" would be a tight fit, especially near the control arm, the 2.5 leaves plenty of room, and is still more than i'll ever need considering the largest bolt on turbo available is the t33, and the exhaust compressor side opening is only slightly more than 2 and a quarter. i'll attach pic to show what i mean.

i could be totally off, but my guess is that the unavailability of a good downpipe is part of the reason alot of people pass on buying and building a decent running hot air street car since the hot airs can be picked up considerably cheaper than a intercooled car most of the time. just my speculation, be interesting to see if anybody else feels the same way.

if there was a company or fabricator who was honestly serious about making a run of these pipes, i'd (possibly) be willing to pull mine (takes about 30 minutes or so) and ship it off as long as some reasonable conditions where met. conditions like: making sure it was insured, a time limit to keep it, etc... and uhh... i'd like an extra one built for me please. :biggrin:

tb3 may have some good points. However, I believe the main reason the H/A cars aren't as popular or sought after, and a good reason alot of them have been converted to I/C, is because the aftermarket has left them for dead. Obviously there is going to be a greater market for I/C products than for the H/A...there were 3 times as many built!! ...Translation: 3 times as many I/C owners and 3 times as many biased opinions as to which is better! Granted, the I/C cars are easier to mod and cheaper too. But, admit it guys, if there were as many performance parts for the H/A crowd...would everyone be so quick to convert?? Now, I will never be "That Guy" that says the H/A cars are better or faster than the I/C's. But that doesn't mean that EVERY TR owner wants to go 10's at the track. Let us not forget that the H/A cars are EVERY BIT as much a piece of the Buick and muscle car history as the I/C ones. And some of us aren't fixated on trashing them at the drag strip every weekend. That being said, it also doesn't mean we don't want to make some mudstains look stupid every once in a while.:D So I will now step down from my soapbox, and say, I would like to see a 2-1/2" integrated downpipe, for less than $500 offered to the H/A crowd...and I would be one of the first in line to try it out. That is, if the idea is realized...SOON. Otherwise, I will be forced to make my own...and who knows, maybe market it myself.
---Keith

Awesome!

Wow! That is a very thorough reply. Exactly what I needed. Well, we will def. be looking into it that's for sure. How do you feel about stainless vs aluminized? Do you prefer one over the other?

I would be inclined to believe that stainless would be the preferred choice. Most people that would spend that kind of money on performance parts would want something that will last for a long time...I do, however, believe there would be quite a price difference in materials. So, why not try both? I think at this point, most of the H/A crowd that would be interested, would prefer stainless...but would be happy just to have one period. Of course, different people have different bugets. I also believe at some point, there would be preferences on an internal and external wastegate options. The internal would probably be the logical market choice, though...like using the RJC flange. As you can see, I have been giving this alot of thought for a long time. I believe it can be done for $500 or less. Sure, many of us could fab one or two...it's the mass production that would be the biggest challenge, IMO.

stainless is best i would think, but as mentioned before, sends the price way up. be nice if we had the option. but aluminized or ceramic coat is going to last any of us a long time.

Ok good to know. So you are thinking options in both for the H/A cars...thank you for the input. This helps direct my diggin a lot, thank you! Any input is welcome and needed!

Shop Visit

So JP87GN stopped by today to say hello. That was awesome! We chatted GN's, TTypes and dps. Hopefully we will be able to do something for you guys. I will def. keep you all posted tho!

my DP will be for sale after thanks giving if anyone want to pay the $$$$$

Mark,
thanks again for coming down yesterday. I hope you didn't feel like you wasted your time. I'll send a message to admin this weekend and see what they say about us posting for interest.

Thanks again.