8.5 Limited slip ?

78oldscutlass

Why am I here?
Ok, I Bought a 86 442 rear with limited slip and I have a question:

I was taking out the side gears and frictions and I noticed that they lacked paper friction material. Is this the way the factory made them? They have little circular lines cut in them.

I figure I asked this because I am going to freshin it up before sticking it in the car. I want trouble free operation before taking it to the streets.

Thanks in advance

78oldscutlass

Originally posted by 78oldscutlass
Ok, I Bought a 86 442 rear with limited slip and I have a question:

I was taking out the side gears and frictions and I noticed that they lacked paper friction material. Is this the way the factory made them? They have little circular lines cut in them.

I figure I asked this because I am going to freshin it up before sticking it in the car. I want trouble free operation before taking it to the streets.

Thanks in advance

78oldscutlass

Sounds like you got the normal setup. All that should be in there are steels and frictions. Never heard of paper as frictions?? But then, I've only ever pulled G80 rears apart.

Re: Re: 8.5 Limited slip ?

Originally posted by TurboDave

Sounds like you got the normal setup. All that should be in there are steels and frictions. Never heard of paper as frictions?? But then, I've only ever pulled G80 rears apart.

I have heard that they make carbon metallic frictions in the eaton instead of metal frictions.

I just wondered. I always though they had some sort of paper or carbon metallic lining on it. This one just uses steel plate with circular rings cut into them. I though maybe that the actual lining material was rubbed off and I needed new ones.