5858 vs 6262

richburke03

Trying to decide on which turbo to get. Very very low mileage car with stock unopened motor. Basic mods include 3'' RJC downpipe and crossflow exhaust, AFPR, Pump and hotwire kit, 80 lb injectors on E85. Gonna get a jimmys trans and PTC 9.5 at the same time. My goal is 11.5 Im looking at both the 5858 and 6262 turbos. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My uncles car has a 5858, has been 11.4
My car had a 6262 and went 10.7

Both stock long blocks.

My car now has a 6766 and my old 6262 is now on his car.

Either turbo will get you there but my vote is the 6262, has room to grow if and when you want to go faster.

I was in this debate for the last 3 months. I talked to bison and he told me to think about 62/62 vs 62/66 instead of 5858. I ended up ordering the 62/62 with a garrett .63 Still waiting on backorder RJC downpipe before I can drive though.

If I was keeping the stock converter, i would have gone with the 58.

The te44 has been in the 10s the 5858 could certainly make more power. That being said, it's kind of hard to compare turbos so very different in size. Both awesome

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Trying to decide on which turbo to get. Very very low mileage car with stock unopened motor. Basic mods include 3'' RJC downpipe and crossflow exhaust, AFPR, Pump and hotwire kit, 80 lb injectors on E85. Gonna get a jimmys trans and PTC 9.5 at the same time. My goal is 11.5 Im looking at both the 5858 and 6262 turbos. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
If it's a street car I would run which ever turbo spools the fastest to run 11.50.i don't know the spool differences between the 58/58 and 62/62 I haven't ran the 58/58 but I know that to run mid 11s the 49 is tuff to beat and spools much faster than a 62/62.this means a lot to a guy that wants a great responsive street car.the nice thing is that it's much easier to run into the 10s if you wanted to run faster in the future with the 62/62.the way I see it though is I don't recommend 10s with the stock motor and if your going to build a good motor or run a stock shortblock but upgrade to ported heads and cam at that point I would run a bigger turbine wheel like the 65 or 66.

Turbofarm member @dvernst has run 10.9 with a 5858 in a TTA.
I'd like to see someone try a 5862 turbo with a .85 housing and a good torque converter.

Go with the 5858 or a TA49. It will a hellava lot of fun on the street with 11.5 potential on a stock engine.

[QUOTE
I'd like to see someone try a 5862 turbo with a .85 housing and a good torque converter.[/QUOTE]

Thought about that too...From what I gathered, the 58 is probably good to 62-63#/min.

Pte .63 housing is more like .77/78 That is more than enough room for flow with 58 compressor maxxed out.

Pte .85 is more like a .9
That's not needed for a 58mm compressor but wouldn't hurt.

I use something in the 61-64mm range.

Ik I'll take heat from this but I won't run a 58-59mm on a 3.8 liter. I've seen compressor maps for 59mm cast. Your way out of efficiency island running at 26-27# boost at 2:8 pr. It can be done and has been faster than me. People say uh uh uh not true. Check your IAT's @ wot between a 58mm and a 62mm... They run the 59mm cast (60-1) for all it's worth (way out of its efficiency island) and then cover the mistake up with methanol. Run a 61-64mm...
I'll post the 60-1 compressor map...Like I said, it's been done. But there are better options out there when using high octane fuel and high boost now a days....

I'm new to turbo Buick's (2 years) but I have had about 10 different turbos on other cars. The buick community definitely run smaller turbos than the other cars I have owned (relative to engine size) and my only guess is because most don't turn very much rpm.

a friend of mine (fellow turbo guru) tried a few turbos on his stock unported heads turbo t with a 2800 converter. He had a stock long block except for valve springs and a 212/212 flat tapper. Of all that he tried, his favorite was a ta66. Said it pulled so much harder after 3800rpm that it made it all worth It. Street car. He had a 6262 on it before the ta66. Before that a ta49. Different stokes for different folks.

Stock cam is done at 4800. A lot has to get done early with that rpm range.

I would be curious to see how the 58 exhaust wheel compares to the T31 and F1-57 exhaust wheels.

I have a 58-57 with the F1-57 exhaust wheel
This and the stock turbo is all I have had on the car
100% stock and my first time to the track car went 14.2@ 96mph
6 month later and a 58-57 TT chip 42 lb injectors hot wire and Kirban down pipe went 13.5 @99mph NO tuning experience O
think I got to 12.9 on stock engine with the 58-57 before I broke it.
Car as been broke and fixed and has been 11.7 @117mph
Still learning how to tune,But on the street with stock engine 58-57 was easy to drive and fun.
Its more of a hand full now ,but fun,
the car is easy enough to drive yet, even my wife and daughter can drive it .
I vote 58-58 for street and NHRA legal down to 11.5 no roll bar
Maybe 62-62 if you want to go faster ,I don't think I could have tuned the stock engine to the 11s, but I'm sure some have.
I think the 58-58 will go low 11s maybe hi 10s

For the OP, the questions I would want to know is how well is the 6262 going to work with an internal gate stock long block car, may be hard to control boost. For your goals I would try the 5858 with a good converter. I have not seen a whole lot posted on it, except what BEATAV8 mentions. I may try one this summer, just to see how it compares to the 44.

Hensleyt, I don't know if the F1-57 gets you anymore than the T31 wheel, if the 58 exhaust has a decent flow capability over those wheels, it would be interesting to see if it would work well with other compressor wheel options. I too, like BEATAV8 would be curious to see how a 5862 would perform. I run a stock exhaust elbow, so I don't think that would work well with a stock elbow, I maybe wrong.

For the OP, the questions I would want to know is how well is the 6262 going to work with an internal gate stock long block car, may be hard to control boost.

Works perfectly fine. No issues with spool or controlling boost.