-52 or -61 Turbo users?

Raven

Here - watch THIS!
Anyone here running a PT52 or a TE-61 Turbo? I'm looking at buying one or the other and would like to know your experiences? Also, would you go with Limit (John Craig) or with PTE?

Stock converter for now but that will change in a couple of months. THDP, Precision's new Stock location intercooler or a Mease unit, 009's for now but going to at least the 50's (High Z), Walbro, hotwired, etc, etc. Stock tranny/rear for now but will build tranny when converter goes in (around June or July). 275-60-15 Nitto Drag Radials.

Shooting for mid 11's on pump gas (without alky if possible but will buy it too if needed).

I would get the PT-61 turbo from PTE...it requires about a 3200 rpm stall and it's the largest small shaft turbo they have...supports up to 675 horsepower and many have run low 20's boost on it in the low 11's (ported heads and cam)

same price as all the others too...$675, that is an awesome turbo...JMO though:D

I would go for the 62. If my memory is correct it is a large shaft turbo.
I used one with a 2800 stall and was "ok" with it for street use.

By the way, when is the next part of your story going to get posted?????

Gary :)

I've got a 53...Spools pretty slow with the stock converter, but it hooks nice then it GOES!!!!

I'll be installing a 3000 stall sometime, and I'm afraid I'll blow the tires away...Thinking of tightening the stall up to 2800.

With the stocker I can build enough boost to fry the tires, or launch it soft as I want...If it was more of a track car, I'd go like 3200 stall and some slicks.

I have the pt52 and it works great with my combo....but like the others, you'll need to be running 20+ boost to even start feeling the benefits of this turbo!

Spools quick, but I don't know if it is quicker than the others....you should talk to one of the guys at PTE, there pretty helpful on these subjects.

Also, you may have heard of problems encountered with the 52, but that is of the past......so i'm told :)

Good turbo though, but I'd think either one is a fine choice...you just need to know where your going with your combo....bigger isn't always better.

jmtc

Look at my sig. No times with the current set up. If weather permits, I will get some times this Saturday. It feels real fast on the street. Running about 22-23 pounds with the alky. Running lean, but not seeing any knock. I will post results soon.

Originally posted by Tin Man
Look at my sig. No times with the current set up. If weather permits, I will get some times this Saturday. It feels real fast on the street. Running about 22-23 pounds with the alky. Running lean, but not seeing any knock. I will post results soon.

No sig on your post?

I have the new 61 from limit. With a stock converter. I can build 6 psi on the street and when the car is in OD
it is very laggy but put it in drive and it takes off fine. Im going to run it at the track with the stock conv. and if i
dont like it i'll swap in a buddies orange stripe. Hopefully in the next few weeks i'll get some new times. Overall
i like the turbo and its the same price as all the 50 series and supports the most hp.

That is strange. I can see my sig? Here it is cut and pasted:

87 GN - TE-61, 57# injectors, 3400 Billet 9x11 stall, THDP w/dump, Hooker catback, 160 stat, K&N 9", Hotwired Walbro 340, Powerplate, SMC Alky, Bilsteins, airbags, Nitto 275/60/15 DR's, Scanmaster, Turbotweak Chip

Originally posted by Tin Man
That is strange. I can see my sig? Here it is cut and pasted:

87 GN - TE-61, 57# injectors, 3400 Billet 9x11 stall, THDP w/dump, Hooker catback, 160 stat, K&N 9", Hotwired Walbro 340, Powerplate, SMC Alky, Bilsteins, airbags, Nitto 275/60/15 DR's, Scanmaster, Turbotweak Chip

Duh on my part! Somehow, the preferences got changed to not allowing signatures to be seen. How that happened is beyond me but anyhow, that's why I couldn't see your sig initially.

Duh, duh, duh!!!

I just put a PT-61 on my car. I'd swear it spools better than the 51 it replaced. I have a 3k RPM 10.5" converter and I don't like the lag. I have a 3500 9x11 on the way tho. From a roll with the 3k RPM converter it's pretty sick.

I'm running it at about 22 psi with 100 octane fuel and a 98 octane Extender chip around town. I have a lot of breathing room with regard to O2 and knock right now. For track duty I'm going to use a 100 octane Turbotweak chip. Looks like the weather is going to be crappy at least tomorrow, may get out to Island on Sunday to see how it works.

Jim