455 for a driver or lt1 auto?

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
Thinking about doing this, scared of what I would get for gas mileage and whatever problem I might run into. I plan on running an OD tranny if I do it. I also plan on keeping a/c. I may also have the possibility of obtaining a whole car for a lt1 swap. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Just thinking about doing this for a little more power, not for a racer, if I can do it cheap enough.

My son's 97 T/A WS6 with the LT-1, auto and 3:23 gears will always get 25 + MPG's on trips with the air on. Have seen a high of 28 MPG on one trip. The car is stock with a PCM's for less tune,1.6 roller rockers, and LT-4 valve springs. The car has run 1/8-8.5@81.5 1.88 60ft 1/4- 13.6@101.5 1.92 60 ft.

Dyno run was before the 1.6 RR's and LT-4 springs.

bonestockLT1.jpg

The 455 would have the cool factor though.

+1 for LT1. You could squeeze a good amount out of an LT1 and still get the gas mileage. If you have an option for a third, I'd definatly consider an LS1/4L60 or T56 6-speed combo. 300+ HP @ the wheels and can be had from a junkyard for right around 3k(if you do your shopping. These engines have gotten 30+ mpgs (C5 Vettes w/ T56) Just a thought!!!

I am probably the most LT1'd guy roaming these boards, so here comes my 2 cents.

LT1's are nice engines, run good, make decent power, and get good mileage. I have had really good luck with one of my LT1 cars, the other was a nightmare (the one I just sold). The electronic crap on them can drive you to drink turpentine.

If you have the budget I would go LS1. If you want to go really fast get an LS1, they are more expensive initially, but a 500rwhp na LT1 will cost a lot more than a 500 rwhp LS1.

Both are good, but it's hard to beat a good old 455 in a Buford.

Oh yeah, I ran 8psi on my AFR headed, cammed LT1 and I would demolish my GN on 20psi. Boosted v8s are cool :cool:

If you have the budget I would go LS1. If you want to go really fast get an LS1, they are more expensive initially, but a 500rwhp na LT1 will cost a lot more than a 500 rwhp LS1.

I am with you on that. My son's girlfriends car, a 99 Z/28 LS1 is .3 faster and has gotten 31 MPG on trips. The only mods to this car is a PCM for less tune, an air lid, and a K&N filter.

Jim

Well my bubbles been bursted. My financial advisor and time planner;) put the bash on that. And apparently I'm not allowed to "turbo" the limited. I may not be able to sneak a 455 or any other motor in the garage but I'm sure I can hide a box of carbed turbo parts somewhere:rolleyes: