3800 Series 2 SC / 4T65-E HD swap into an 89 Buick Skylark (pics)

Darth Fiero

3800 Series II Turbo
Just finished the latest project - a 3800 Series 2 SC / 4T65-E HD swap into an 89 Buick Skylark. Donor car was a 1998 Bonneville SSEi.

89Skylark_side.jpg

89Skylark_eng.jpg

As you can see, it was a very tight fit. The original powertrain for this car was the Buick 3300 V6 and 125-C auto trans. There is about 3/8" clearance between the SC belt pulleys and the right chassis frame rail and about 1/4" clearance between the 4T65-E's side cover and the left side chassis frame rail. I was not able to reuse the OEM 3300 engine or 125-C transmission mounts. I had to modify the "J-frames" and basically build an engine cradle out of them. I used rubber cradle bushings from a Fiero to make engine and transmission mounts (1 at each corner).

underside.jpg

eng_cradle_front.jpg

exhaust1.jpg

Exhaust was tricky. The steering rack in this car mounts to the firewall above the transmission leaving little room for exhaust. I had to modify the rear manifold by welding a tight radius bend directly to it so it would clear the rack.

PCM is mounted outside the engine compartment under the battery location. The K&N air filter resides under the PCM mounting location so it can source outside-the-engine-compartment cold air. The filter and PCM are protected by a splash shield I installed under them.

puller.jpg

I installed two aftermarket electric fans - a pusher and a puller. Not much room for anything in front of the engine once the A/C lines were made and installed (yes, the R134a A/C does work).

89Skylark_front.jpg

89Skylark_rear.jpg

As you can see, it is a very clean 89 Skylark. Too bad there isn't more room in the wheel wells for much bigger than the 215 60 R14 tires it has on it now - it really needs more rubber because 1st gear is about worthless. Of course, the stock 85 mph analog speedometer needle disappears to the far right too quickly as well. GM did make a few of these cars with a digital cluster (looks very similar to what was put in the late 80's Park Ave Electras) but I have not ever seen one and I think the chances of finding a good used one in a junkyard are going to be slim at this point.

-ryan

Next you should try a S/C 3800 in a Reatta or a Trofeo.

How much did the s/c wake up that ride? Any times by any chance? I know they are heavy for their size.

How much did the s/c wake up that ride? Any times by any chance? I know they are heavy for their size.

How much did the S/C wake up the Reatta? Quite a bit. Yes, they are heavy for their size. Never got any track times on the Reatta after the conversion so I can't say how much the improvement was. But I would say it was very similar in performance to a Grand Prix GTP with the Supercharged engine.