3" D.P. , high flow 3" cat and hooker 2 1/2" exhaust?

Dr. Jeckel

Would this combo ($700) be worth the money on a stock engine? What kinda HP gains would I get, would I need to change anything else? The car needs a muffler and probably new exhaust so I was thinking of doing it all at once. I saw these parts on Kirbans and I want a QUIET ride so it sounded pretty good. I'm coming from LS1's and just starting out with turbos so I was needing some advice. I will be making a VERY streetable car, based more just on my fun and reliability than track e.t.'s. Had a real fast TA but now its the turbo route and I plan to learn from my mistakes in "over doing it" on the Trans-Am. I don't really want to do bigger turbo or injectors or anything right now really. Would this exhaust setup give a little more power and not alot more noise, than the stock exhaust and DP? Thanks, James.

The Hooker exhaust is definitely a great buy. Many, many 10-second cars run this system, and it's one of the cheapest out there.

The 3" downpipe won't do you much good at all until you're solidly in the 11's. I've gone 11.48 on the stock one.

As for the catalytic, the high-flow units are fine, but pricey. Most GN/T owners I know run a $25 straight-pipe in place of the cat, then swap for the bi-annual emissions test.

Thanks for the advice. I think I might just get the hooker exhaust system then do down pipe later.
Any other opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, James

I am very happy with that setup. I am new to the turbo seen also and I haven't tested the car at the track. I like the sound and to me it is just a little louder than stock. I have the Mease 3" DP going into a 3" cat and then into the Hooker 2.5" exhaust system. It has a deep rumble but is pretty quiet still. Of course it is the quietest car I own so I might not be a good judge. My other cars are all running Flowmaster but I wanted the stealth image for the Regal T.

Ken

How much of a difference was it over the stock exhaust? Does it drone at highway speeds (65-75mph)?

I don't hear any drone but the car is usually only out with the T-tops out. I bought the car with 2 1/4" straight pipe dual exhaust on it so it is a lot quieter too me. I hear the turbo more than I hear the exhaust on the car.

Ken

Most will tell you that the 3" downpipe won't do much when you're stock. Since you have to replace the exhaust then you've chosen a good system. I went the single shot route and it is pretty damn quiet. Use the money you were going to spend on the d/p and cat and buy yourself an alky kit. Alot more bang for the buck than any exhaust system.:D