3 Chips?

UFILUKY

I was going through this limited T I got over the weekend sorting the parts out and I found 3 chips. The one in the computer has no markings at all. The one I found on the floor had a little hand written tag on it reading (turbo L/2). The third one I discovered on accident when I was pulling out a tape player that did not belong in the car. When I got it unhooked and went to set it down it rattled. I opened up the tape door and out fell a chip. It was an ATR Pit Bull 137 R3 or something like that. I found a 1999 ATR catalog in the trunk and found all the specs of that chip but I don't have a clue about the first or second chip. Is there anyway to tell anything about them? And is the ATR chip ant good?

In the early days of tr hotrodding, late 80-s to mid 90-s, there were few choices in bigger injectors and bigger turbos, not many good chipmakers and they weren't giving away any secrets, and pump gas seemed to handle boost and timing better than today. All that has changed (2 out of 3 ain't bad :)). Now there is lots of chip knowledge out there, and several very, very good chipmakers who will work with you to get your car tuned up well. There are lots of choices in bigger injectors (and the chips to go with them), and lots of choices in bigger turbos. Because of all that, early chips tended to just set the injectors on to get the most fuel possible from them (since that was barely enough), and to run very high timing especially in race chips (because bigger turbos weren't readily available). That's a long-winded way of saying that you are much better off getting a current chip from, say, TurboTweak or FullThrottle (the extender/commander chips), than trying to run the unknowns you have. And, get some kind of scan tool (like the power logger), upgrade the fuel pump and wiring, set some realistic performance goals based on tires and octane, and then get injectors and the rest to match.

Thanks Carl, Looks like turbotweak gives $10 off for up to 3 core chips so I should be able to get $30 off if I read that right. Just need to figure out what kind of combo I plan to build and give them a call.