200-R4 Noise

rmstg2

Hello guys I have a problem with my 200-R4. Sitting still in drive or reverse it makes a noise that almost sounds like a viberation or maybe similar to a power steering pump that is low on fluid but not as loud. As soon as the car starts to move it goes away. Tranny shifts good and the lockup works in 4th.
The only other problem is it freewheels when slowing down in 3rd but seems like it is trying to hold back but comes and goes. Hopefully my expalnation is a little clearer than mud. Lsitening from under the car the noise
comes from the front or converter area of the tranny.

Bob H.

200-r4

I am still waiting to see what the builder wants to do. Time is against me but mileage is not. It has 5000 or less miles on it. The problem was the front stator was broke. Supposed to have been an upgraded (hardened) stator. He also said it had a 700 front pump. Only part of the 700 pump will fit from what I'm told. It was a 10 vane pump a 13 vane which it now has would have been better.
The big snap ring that holds the front clutch package in wasn't seated. The person doing the repair thinks this is probably why the stator broke. He also thinks things were moving enough for the shift patterns to change. It was also inconsistant from day one. The rpms that it would shift weren't the same under the same amount of throttle pressure. The guy I bought it from advertises a performance build, he said it would hold up with the power, gear ratio and weight of the car. He did say if I put slicks on it and took it to the track all bets were off. I had no problem with that most people won't warranty their parts in a race application. When he sent the transmission there was a note with it. The note " If you plan on getting on that big powerfull car and spinning the tires you better bring a bushell basket to pick up the parts" I probably should have sent it back then but had no way of knowing if he would refund my money and I also would have had to pay return shipping. I was never comfortable with the trans and babied it from the beginning. It works fine now and doesn't vary from one minute to the next.

Bob H.

If you deal with the vendors on this site you won't have these issues. The number of vanes doesn't matter either. A heat treated stator is standard procedure on a rebuild. I don't think a non heat treated one is still available. A 200-4r can be built for $1700 and withstand 500whp for years and years before it should need any inspection.

I agree with Bison. Sounds like the guy knew the trans wouldn't hold up the way he sold it to you so he warned against spinning the tires. Hell, my old GN had $178 in just a kit and then an 87 servo, 10'' non lockup and I put it thru the ringer. Bruce has had the car since 05 and he says it is still kicking. Any of the vendors here can hook you up right.