1986 GN in Georgia

slay

I have found a 1986 GN in Georgia. I wanted to go check it out but the seller says it is a bill of sale car only. I do know in Georgia that cars "built" in 1986 and newer have to have a title. This car being an '86 was probably built in 85.

Do any members that may be from Georgia have any experience with this? Because this cars year is right on the line for the cutoff, I am just not sure. I did call the MDV and they said an 1986 model does need a title. So how would the seller have registered the car without a title?

I have asked the seller for both the VIN and tag number so I can go back to the MDV and see what they say. No response as of yet.

Thanks for any info you may have.

I have the VIN now. And I am having trouble deciphering it.

The vin from the car is 1G4GJ47A2GP210484

EDIT: Looks like 1G4GJ47A was for a 2 barrel carb 3.8liter? So this would be a clone?

Last edited:
The car is located in the west side of Atlanta. He calls it a Regal in the ad but it looks like a GN. Badges and everything.

My real concern is being able to title/register, but if it is a clone I am not interested. Looking at going to see another members car in New Orleans. Hope that turns out well...

The car is located in the west side of Atlanta. He calls it a Regal in the ad but it looks like a GN. Badges and everything.

My real concern is being able to title/register, but if it is a clone I am not interested. Looking at going to see another members car in New Orleans. Hope that turns out well...

Where did you see this ad?
There are some TR guys on the west side, that may be awrare of the car.

Is there a local GN/TR club for Atlanta? I have seen one or 2 driving around and was wondering.

Is there a local GN/TR club for Atlanta? I have seen one or 2 driving around and was wondering.

"Used to be"...We met at Hooters at the Gwinnett Mall. I haven't been in yrs....Last time, there were 3 of us show up..:rolleyes:
As for that ad.... Looks like someone w/ zip for knowledge wrote it..
manual trans, new, 38K, clean title.....No mention made of it bring a GN. The only reference I saw was Regal...
Smells bad to me..:poop:
Contact the seller and ask??

yeah, the VIN doesn't look to be a GN/T-Type/Turbo-T carb car so it must be a clone.

Also, I don't think it can be registered. The pictures he sent have an out of date tag even though he said in email he can register it.

I think he is trying to unload a lemon...

Thanks for the replies Chuck. Do you ever go to the track up I-85? Appears there are some local events up there. test/tune type stuff.

yeah, the VIN doesn't look to be a GN/T-Type/Turbo-T carb car so it must be a clone.

Also, I don't think it can be registered. The pictures he sent have an out of date tag even though he said in email he can register it.

I think he is trying to unload a lemon...

Thanks for the replies Chuck. Do you ever go to the track up I-85? Appears there are some local events up there. test/tune type stuff.

I haven't been to ATL dragway for some years.
If I go, I usually go to Silver Dollar, in Reynolds.
If that's an 86, the DMV will issue you a tag, but no title. They will also set the tax at what the "book value" is. IE: My 87 T was valued at $9700. Tax was 7%!
If that car was/is already tagged in Ga, they will register it in your name.
That's pretty much a moot point, as I'd not touch it w/ a 20' pole....:D

Why no title is my greatest concern. Sounds a little fishy. You could check into a bonded title. But personally I would look elsewhere.

yeah, been talking to cutt here on the forum. Like his car and am going to see him as soon as I can.

Thanks

GA car titles have always been weird. I have never in my life seen more cars for sale without titles in my life. In our search for a 69 Camaro, it seemed as if there was a 1 in 3 chance for every car that we had looked at didn't have a title but just a bill of sale. Maybe if some one lived in GA this is alright but buying a car from out of state, a big no no. I wonder how many cars have resurfaced in GA? How are the title searches down there?

Not really, for years if the car was 15 years old you only needed a bill of sale. At some point they changed it to 1986 or newer requires a title. All these CL asshats have pawned the title or bought it without one and are trying to unload it. The "lost title" is BS, last time I replaced the title I had lost the replacement was here in a week.