1980 LeSabre turbo sport coupe, turbo problem

Skip

Hi, new to the forum! I found a '80 sport coupe that I'm considering buying. Only problem is that the owner doesn't hear the turbo spool up or feel any rush of power nor do the turbo lights come on. Besides the turbo being burnt up, what could it be? The car is several hundred miles away so can't really see or hear for myself. I know these cars weren't rockets but you should still be able to hear the turbo. Any help would be appreciated before I get into something too much. Thanks...

Hi, new to the forum! I found a '80 sport coupe that I'm considering buying. Only problem is that the owner doesn't hear the turbo spool up or feel any rush of power nor do the turbo lights come on. Besides the turbo being burnt up, what could it be? The car is several hundred miles away so can't really see or hear for myself. I know these cars weren't rockets but you should still be able to hear the turbo. Any help would be appreciated before I get into something too much. Thanks...

How about the secondary side of the Quadrajet being stuck closed?

This can happen via a lockout lever on the passenger side underneath the choke housing
Or if there is some damaged linkage
or just an old carb that sat awhile.

keep in mind also that the secondary throttle shaft has a spring tensioner on the drivers side such that the shaft can remain still and the blades closed in the baseplate, but the secondary throttle lever will look like its opening the secondaries properly.

best way to check for proper opening is to hold the air flaps open by hand and look down in the secondaries with the engine off. Then actuate the throttle WOT. You should see the throttle blades go wide open in the baseplate.

Welcome!

It's common for the turbo power lights not to work for a variety of reasons. Often the ground connection is weak, or the hoses leak where they connect to the switch. Or the bulbs burn out.

The stock turbo is fairly quiet. I think the best to way confirm it is OK is to unbolt the downpipe and push it aside. Then the impeller can easily be seen and spun by hand. The engine can be started and you can watch the impeller spin (of course it will be loud, but not that loud). Assuming the compressor impeller on the other side is intact, the turbo should be OK. The only problem with this is that the three bolts for the downpipe can be very difficult to get loose.

These turbo's are fairly robust. If it's not leaking oil, it bet it OK. I have never seen a seized turbo on a running car.

Thanks for the help/info guys. I bought the car after he confirmed the turbo was working. Just bought it cause you don't see these at all and something different. Hopefully parts, etc won't be too hard to get and this isn't more trouble then it's worth. Does have rust in the door jambs and some underneath but we 'll see what we can do with it. I'm getting the car Sunday.
Thanks again!

Here's a pict:
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397686722.092021.jpg

Yea it's cinnabar, I have a few newer cars and there fast and have all the toys on them, but I have to say I really like driving this, it runs nice and actually has some descent power on the expressway, handles and rides great. Kinda takes me back when to the Buick's my parents had and I had back in the day. And there's not a lot of these still running and if they are there all rusted out, I love the GN's,
T-Types and my'87 Turbo Limited but the Lesabre turbo is just different cool. Glad I bought it!