11 second buick?

Dmrtn9203

just curious as to what the general consensus would be as to how much $$$$$ it would cost to get a hot air to break into the 11's?

I just sold my 12 second truck, and all that i'm left with is the buick and a civic, and I can't deal without having a quick car. Ive got around $600 worth of parts to buy, worst case scenario to get the buick back on the road. It's not going to stay stock for long, though. And I want this car to run at least mid/high 11's in the end. I may even be happy with a 12 flat.

Those of you running these numbers, would you care to share a rough cost in parts with a rough parts list to get you there?

So far i've only got 48lb injectors, Home ported intake manifold, TT chip in an 86/87 computer, adjustable FPR, walbro fuel pump/racetronix hot wire. Not sure what i'm going to do with the exhaust, but i'm thinking 3" DP and 4" single exhaust.

I'm trying to research what parts i'd need to get me there and i'm thinking alcohol injection, a good tuning setup, good exhaust, and a turbo upgrade should get me somewhat close, matched with a good set of tires and some suspension tweaks. am I wrong?

Your on the right track.
Free flowing intake to the turbo, you can get there with a stock IC, but after market would be better.
Ported heads and cam make it easy but if that is to much you will have to run about 28 psi
3" DP, 2.5 dual or better Exh. Turbo will depend on finale combo and driving style preferred.
Trans with shift kit and good converter
Power logger, fuel pump, hot wire kit, good plug wires
Brakes, good shocks
Alky kit or race fuel !

It's detail on all the little things that makes it all work!

just curious as to what the general consensus would be as to how much $$$$$ it would cost to get a hot air to break into the 11's?

I just sold my 12 second truck, and all that i'm left with is the buick and a civic, and I can't deal without having a quick car. Ive got around $600 worth of parts to buy, worst case scenario to get the buick back on the road. It's not going to stay stock for long, though. And I want this car to run at least mid/high 11's in the end. I may even be happy with a 12 flat.

Those of you running these numbers, would you care to share a rough cost in parts with a rough parts list to get you there?

So far i've only got 48lb injectors, Home ported intake manifold, TT chip in an 86/87 computer, adjustable FPR, walbro fuel pump/racetronix hot wire. Not sure what i'm going to do with the exhaust, but i'm thinking 3" DP and 4" single exhaust.

I'm trying to research what parts i'd need to get me there and i'm thinking alcohol injection, a good tuning setup, good exhaust, and a turbo upgrade should get me somewhat close, matched with a good set of tires and some suspension tweaks. am I wrong?

$8000.

I'll make it simple for you and you find the parts as cheap as you can get them. Number 1# on the list.....Ported Heads!!! There is no bigger bang for the buck than this upgrade. Lets you run faster on lower boost. Then other must have parts to get to high 11's are........

Ported Heads (800-1700)
Bigger turbo (800-1000.00)
Passenger side header (200.00 (speed daddy complete set)
At least 2 1/2" downpipe (300-600.00)
Converter to match your turbo to reduce lag (300-800)
A good chip (100)

You've got everything else already. My calculations if you supply your own labor 2500-2800 on the low end. (2800-3500) on the high end. You don't even need to mess with the cam (stock cam has been 10's) but it will make it easier.

I'll make it simple for you and you find the parts as cheap as you can get them. Number 1# on the list.....Ported Heads!!! There is no bigger bang for the buck than this upgrade. Lets you run faster on lower boost. Then other must have parts to get to high 11's are........

Ported Heads (800-1700)
Bigger turbo (800-1000.00)
Passenger side header (200.00 (speed daddy complete set)
At least 2 1/2" downpipe (300-600.00)
Converter to match your turbo to reduce lag (300-800)
A good chip (100)

You've got everything else already. My calculations if you supply your own labor 2500-2800 on the low end. (2800-3500) on the high end. You don't even need to mess with the cam (stock cam has been 10's) but it will make it easier.

Pete- Good answer. You forgot alky kit. The turbo price is a light as well due to custom cost to make it fit. E85 will be easier but the injectors need to be upgrades as well as fuel pump. Make my day and say you are back home now. Brad

Yes Brad I'm back!!!
But as far as alky is concerned you don't need it to run the numbers you can run race gas. He didn't say run 11's on pump gas just run 11's. At the moment I think the only Hot Air on this board that runs 11's on pump gas is Eric Singer and by his numbers he runs deeeeepppp into the 11's if her ran the quarter.

Thanks Pete, yes I'm running theoretically well into the 11's on pump gas and alky (There's not a 1/4 mile track close by). I agree with everything that's been said so far, especially really good flowing heads. As Richard Clark told me years ago, power is in the heads!

Yes Brad I'm back!!!
But as far as alky is concerned you don't need it to run the numbers you can run race gas. He didn't say run 11's on pump gas just run 11's. At the moment I think the only Hot Air on this board that runs 11's on pump gas is Eric Singer and by his numbers he runs deeeeepppp into the 11's if her ran the quarter.

BOOSTERMASTER (Pete)
First, really GLAD you are home and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE..
Second, Dmrtn9203, pay very close attention to everything that is discussed in this post. HEADS are truly the key... If you ever want a SCARY fast car, the heads will get you there. Pete layed out a simple but effective plan that will get you to your goal without breaking the Bank. You can go out and buy many parts and be no closer to your goal than just buying a 87 GN.
Third, learn to tune you car. Ask questions, and learn your car. HA cars are not forgiving....

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Turns out the guy who was buying the truck had other plans, so after shaking on a deal and making sure I had the title ready to sign over to him on last monday when we could meet at the bank, he backed out. No biggie though, because after going to TS Outlaws in Bowling Green, Ky, I've decided i'm keeping the truck. I'd love to be able to build a 11 or even 10 second buick, and tow it to the track behind a truck that will be unhooked from the trailer and run low 12's. The problem, it's going to take a while to get the funds together to get there.

I've been thinking about converting this car to intercooled, but I'm more set on leaving it original. I like the challenge and rarity that a fast hot air buick possesses. I will not, however, sell this car and get a hot air car. This car was my aunt's car since from right around, if not before I was born.

From the sounds of it, it seems like I was fairly close with my original thought. I believe the only big thing I had not thought about was a good set of heads. Man these cars are expensive.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Turns out the guy who was buying the truck had other plans, so after shaking on a deal and making sure I had the title ready to sign over to him on last monday when we could meet at the bank, he backed out. No biggie though, because after going to TS Outlaws in Bowling Green, Ky, I've decided i'm keeping the truck. I'd love to be able to build a 11 or even 10 second buick, and tow it to the track behind a truck that will be unhooked from the trailer and run low 12's. The problem, it's going to take a while to get the funds together to get there.

I've been thinking about converting this car to intercooled, but I'm more set on leaving it original. I like the challenge and rarity that a fast hot air buick possesses. I will not, however, sell this car and get a hot air car. This car was my aunt's car since from right around, if not before I was born.

From the sounds of it, it seems like I was fairly close with my original thought. I believe the only big thing I had not thought about was a good set of heads. Man these cars are expensive.

If your in Bowling Green you need to check out a local guy there named John Bruce known on the board as GNX548. He has been running his hot air for years and consistently runs low 11's.

brad ,reed at works is doing some nice work with the h/a turbos all the way up to 67mm bolt on i belive,i dont know how they run but i will find out when mine gets here;)

well an 86/87 intercooled car is nothing to go 11s unlike the HA cars. :cool:

May not take much but everyone that has them don't run 11's. I can certify that first hand. All the power in world still require proper tuning. So how about rephrasing your reply to something like " 86-87 intercooled cars don't require much to be 11 second capable unlike HA cars......:D

i guess its like this grumpy ,anybody can make a i/c car fast not really a challenge when you have 8 or 10 venders selling the stuff,and 1 or 2 that sell h/a parts,and the rest you have too fab up,now thats a challenge ,not like a puzzle thats been done over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over .............................. get the drift right;)

May not take much but everyone that has them don't run 11's. I can certify that first hand. All the power in world still require proper tuning. So how about rephrasing your reply to something like " 86-87 intercooled cars don't require much to be 11 second capable unlike HA cars......:D

I don't care what ya have !! If it's not tuned right your not goin anywhere. Been sayin this for YEARS !! Bottom line. HA or Intercooled ...Honda, Ford, Chebby doesn't matter. We were running 11s back in 86. Nothing for parts. My wifes stock TTA ran 11's in 1989. Today its a breeze making an intercooled car fly. Just because most can't figure out how to use a simple Turbo Tweak chip is beyond me. One other note. If the car runs like crap before ya add on all your kool guy parts it's goin to run the same when your done . Garbage in garbage out. :cool:

i guess its like this grumpy ,anybody can make a i/c car fast not really a challenge when you have 8 or 10 venders selling the stuff,and 1 or 2 that sell h/a parts,and the rest you have too fab up,now thats a challenge ,not like a puzzle thats been done over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over .............................. get the drift right;)

I built an solved my own puzzle in the late 80's. We had to learn back then because there wasn't much out and what was out 75% of the time it didn't work. Guys are to lazy now to "think". They want to sprinkle the fairy dust on the car and have it go.. It just doesn't work like that. Again it's the "TUNA" and the car has to have all the basic crap running right. :p

I built an solved my own puzzle in the late 80's. We had to learn back then because there wasn't much out and what was out 75% of the time it didn't work. Guys are to lazy now to "think". They want to sprinkle the fairy dust on the car and have it go.. It just doesn't work like that. Again it's the "TUNA" and the car has to have all the basic crap running right. :p

Thank you so much for that statement. That is the same point I've been making for years for everyone that thinks they're going to bolt on an intercooled set up and BAM.....magic instant 11's. When realistically it will probably be closer to instant 12's with good boost. My point has always been that HA cars are less forgiving on the tuning side and intercooled cars cover up many mistakes by the tuner.

If the integrity of the car doesn't matter, money is a concern, speed and power is the goal. Just ditch the 3.8 motor and go LS.

Problem solved, Right?

i would agree ,youhave to tune to play this is my first BUICK turbo and before it got pulled ,all my gauges pl,scanmaster pump and all the outher stuff that should be bought and played with before i spent the money iam now,so your right throwin the best at your moter and cant tune it or have the knowledge to, having a 10 or 11 second engine in yur car and making it un 10 or 11 seconds is a diffrent story ...i gree with you:cool: