"109" or "818" ???

Turbotransam83

3.8 noobie :)
Hi i am new to this site and reletivly new to the Turbo buicks. I am currently working on a hybrid swap into a 1988 firebird. My Problem is i need some advice on which block i should use. I didnt seem to find a clear enough answer while browsing so i figure id ask people who have done it before me lol.

I have a 25506818 3.8 Block out of a 84 GN. Now i have heard that the webbing in the lifter area is kinda weak? What i plan on doing with the car is going to be a light street mainly strip car. I do want to get into the high 10`s low 11 area (once i learn how to control the car lol).

Now i can get my hands on a "109" NA block with 69k on it. I have the turbo rolled fillet crank, 763 rods, and the 455 or 445 heads. (dont remember the casting off the top of my head atm)

As far as money goes thats not a big issue considering i dont plan on having it done for a year or so.

Just want to know if the 818 84 block i should keep or just set it off to the side and get the 109.

any advice well appeciated thanks :)

Pick up the 109 to build and keep your hot air block as a spare. The 109 is a stronger block but there has been older hot air blocks in the 10's as well.

On either block shooting for 10's I'd want the insurance of at least center billet caps.

Either will work but grab the 109 for a spare as mentioned already. Never can have too many good blocks when racing! Build a 2nd bullet to keep you going if something happens. 2 centre main caps or girdle should be used for sure but the 2 main caps will do the job for you. Have Fun!!

Ok thanks for the advice. Im gonna pick up that 109 block and use it for the main motor. i`ll hold onto the 818 block doesnt take up that much room in the garage. Who knows maybe i`ll find a nice convertible 3rd gen to put it in lol